PDA

View Full Version : suggestions??

94cc0rd
09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi guys. Today, i went out to Wal-Mart and bought myself some Meguiers NXT Car Wash, Mothers Caranuba Wax, 12pk Terry Cloth Towels, 8pk Microfiber Towels, Wheel cleaning brush, and a Mothers Clay Bar Kit from Kragen. I have a chenille wash mitt and some dirty microfiber towels and terry cloth towels from previous washes. I have a couple questions.

First, How do I was my dirty MF and terry cloth towels? Can I machine wash them together without any detergent? What temperature water should I use? Hot / Warm / Cold? Machine Wash without heat??

Second, I live in an apartment complex and park on the street. There is absolutely no shade unless I go down into the parking garage. Any suggestions on where I can wash my car besides in the parking garage? It`s too dark in there. I tried that the first time I washed my car and when I parked it outside, I found water spots all over my car. I`m trying to find a friends house with shade where I can wash my car, but besides that, any suggestions?

Also, are the products I got good and fairly easy to use? This will be my first time clay barring and waxing a car and I really want my car to show great results!

I think I`m just gonna wake my lazy *** up early tomorrow morning and wash it before the sun comes up. Theres been some overcast (i think thats what it is) the past few mornings. How long does it take for the wax to dry?

the other pc
09-14-2005, 03:21 PM
â€How do I was my dirty MF and terry cloth towels? Can I machine wash them together without any detergent? What temperature water should I use? Hot / Warm / Cold? Machine Wash without heat?â€Don’t wash mf and cotton terry together, all the lint from the terry will deposit itself permanently on the mf. Wash mf by itself. Try searching a bit and you’ll see lots of different recommendations and preferences. I tend to do everything warm/warm with liquid Tide and maybe a shot of Simple Green then dry at very low heat. If you have any that are really grimy or full of dressing don’t wash them with “good†towels.

â€Any suggestions on where I can wash my car besides in the parking garage? It`s too dark in there. I tried that the first time I washed my car and when I parked it outside, I found water spots all over my car. I`m trying to find a friends house with shade where I can wash my car, but besides that, any suggestions?..You can wash in the open at night or in the early morning. Washing and drying in the garage should get easier with practice. If your water isn’t too full of nasty minerals you should be able to pull it into the sun and do a quick once over with a couple mf towels and some QD to prevent/remove spotting from any little areas you missed.

â€Also, are the products I got good and fairly easy to use? This will be my first time clay barring and waxing a car and I really want my car to show great results!..The wash, wax and clay are fine products. You should have no trouble getting good results. I’m not familiar with the towels but as a rule I wouldn’t trust discount store cotton terry cloth on paint. Maybe somebody else here has experience with the Wally-Mart mf. You might try searching.

â€I think I`m just gonna wake my lazy *** up early tomorrow morning and wash it before the sun comes up. Theres been some overcast (i think thats what it is) the past few mornings. How long does it take for the wax to dry?Good plan. Wax drying time depends on the wax, heat and humidity. In my corner of SoCal I rarely have to wait more than 15min. Just be sure to apply it really thin and even.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

PC.

tlak
09-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I am new to detailing I did my car over the period of 2 weekends

Read my post I hope it will help you - "I have a plan, need honest critique" I am not sure how to attach links to the post :(

Most of the work I did in the garage - I did clay outside with Mothers Clay Bar Kit but I had shade from the how although I had to rotate the car. Use a lot of QD with clay but you will need shade it drays very fast. Wax in shade as well

have fun

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 04:09 PM
I am new to detailing I did my car over the period of 2 weekends

Read my post I hope it will help you - "I have a plan, need honest critique" I am not sure how to attach links to the post :(

Most of the work I did in the garage - I did clay outside with Mothers Clay Bar Kit but I had shade from the how although I had to rotate the car. Use a lot of QD with clay but you will need shade it drays very fast. Wax in shade as well

have fun

Here tlak, I`ll help you out!! Just cuz I`m a nice guy....

tlak`s post (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61318)

94cc0rd
09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys. I`m kind of nervous that while I`m washing my car or during one of the processes of clay bar or waxing, the sun will come up and ruin all my hard work. I`m seriously considering waking up at 6 or 7am just to do this right. The forecast says AM Clouds so hopefully I`ll be ok until 10-11. As of now, I plan on waking up around 8-9, depending on how many times I snooze.

Approximately how long do you guys think it will take a newbie detailer to wash/dry, clay bar, and wax an entire car?? Also, after I clay bar the car in sections, do I need to rewash the car or do anything? Or can I go right ahead to waxing, as long as I wipe off the clay bar or quick detailer as I go?

Thanks a lot for the replies. They have been quite helpful.

the other pc
09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
You can go from clay straight to wax, no need to wash in between. Just wipe off the QD as you go.

Hard to say how long it will take a newbie by hand. I wouldn`t get too worked up worrying about it. Just to get a feel for the products so you can hit the ground running you might try playing with the clay and wax the night before. Just try claying a section of the bathroom mirror or something and then waxing it.

PC.

94cc0rd
09-15-2005, 11:14 AM
I think it turned out pretty good. I woke up at 7:30am and finished by around 10:30am. It seems like it didn`t take that long compared to how long it takes some of you detailers on autopia. Here are some pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/sennett0r/IMG_1904.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/sennett0r/IMG_1920.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/sennett0r/IMG_1919.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/sennett0r/IMG_1917.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/sennett0r/IMG_1913.jpg

The paint isn`t in that great condition to begin with, but it`s the best I`ve seen it. I`ve had the car since 8-12-05 and this is it`s 3rd wash, 1st clay, 1st wax job. What do you guys think?

Also, I have some really bad water spots on my windows and windshield. The waterspots on the windshield are shaped to the lines my wipers create. I tried the quick detail and I even clayed the windows but it didn`t get rid of it. Any suggestions???

94cc0rd
09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Oh yea, Do you guys think I over did it with the product use? My Clay Bar Kit came with a 16oz bottle of Mothers Quick Detail spray, 4oz bottle of Mothers Caranuba Wax, and the Clay bar. I think I used almost 3/4 of the QD spray bottle and almost all of the 4oz Wax bottle.

Wasatch
09-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Before you wax, maybe try a glaze or a polish, should make a big difference in appearance.