PDA

View Full Version : PC for weekend warrior?

ndak
09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
This forum has been great and I am a new to detailing (just doing my car and my wifes`). Both are white brand new 2005 cars and I wanted to get some feedback on if getting a PC for my situation would be a good move?

Applications that I would forsee the cars needing include, applying sealants, polish, wax, and possibly a light swirl/scrath remover.

Thanks for the advise.

zippymbr
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
They sure save alot of time. You will be suprised at how much you will use it on our cars and your friends and family. Just wait, the obsession is about to begin!

Asonyexec
09-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Your first PC is comparable to addicts first hit of crack. You`re going to be amazed at the speed in which you can apply product with and the results it has on your finish. I too started about 1 year ago with a PC and am now into using a rotary. I don`t do this as a profession but as a hobby and only to my own cars (maybe a close relative or 2 also) I also started with 2-3 bottles of various meguiar`s products and now have about 18 bottles of products from varying makers (poorboys, 3m, meguiars, chemical guys).

I second what zipp said :welcome

imported_Picus
09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I think @ $109 a PC is about the best investment you can make regarding car care. It should last at least 10 years, and the difference it makes even just applying LSP`s is huge, nevermind it`s ability to fix swirls/flaws in the paint. I got mine a couple months ago and I can`t imagine trying to clean cars without it now. Even if it`s just to apply a glaze or sealant, it makes the job so much easier and faster.

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
LOL, just asking the question means you`re doooooomed! If you have the means, buy it, you`ll love it.

I bought mine from here, it comes with the correct backing plate and counter-weght as part of the package.

Coastal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm?L+coastest+pqhw2329ff334b33+11 26795307)

Beware of your friends, relatives and neighbors tho...

ndak
09-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Is Coastal Tool a better deal than say Lowes? I was going to head to Lowes tonight after reading these posts.

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 01:07 PM
I believe lowes sells the 7336, wich comes with the correct counter weight, but I am not sure which backing plate it comes with, so you may have to buy that seperately. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

imported_Picus
09-14-2005, 01:10 PM
You will need to buy a backing plate for the one at Lowes, but it does come with the correct counterweight. The pad it comes with is totally useless too, either throw it out or use bonnets on it to buff, but don`t use it on your car.

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Use that crappy pad on sutff like a stainless BBQ or crap like that.

ndak
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
If you go with the 7336 and say the Sonus DAS Kit are you ready to go?

imported_krsjuan
09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
If you go with the 7336 and say the Sonus DAS Kit are you ready to go?Yup. I would get another of each pad but you could always get more later.

JeffM
09-14-2005, 01:27 PM
If you are going to be removing swirls on paint that is neglected, i would get the SFX pad kit.

It is a little more aggressive, comes with a 6" plate too.

imported_Picus
09-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Yup. I would get another of each pad but you could always get more later.

What he said. Having two of each pad helps a lot, often times you`ll want to usea clean pad halfway through a job and don`t want to have to clean one in between.

ndak
09-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Well you guys TWISTED my arm enough and convinced me. Just got back from Lowes and now I have a PC. Now off to place my order for the Sonus pads.

Thanks guys!!!

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Right on. Great purchase, you won`t regret it.