PDA

View Full Version : Brand Spanking New!!!

T@sound-xtreme
09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
This much detail put into detailing is new to me, but is exactly the place i need to be.

I am hoping to get some advice, i have been reading through this website all day,lol. So heres my story

I have 2 cars that I cannot practice on, and 1 that i can

2002 Toyaya Highlander Red/Orange Color

2003 Ford Focus BLACK(just bought to save gas)

and then i have a

1994 Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe(practice car for now)

So heres where i hope to get some help from you guys.Heres what I have been doing, and from what I have read, I am a slacker

1.wash with Mr.Clean Autodry,use the soap and a seperate bucket with suds(cheapo soap)

2. dry

3. mothers claybar

4.wax

So from what i see here, i am missing alot. But i want some details on what i should get. Im not looking to spend a fortune, and I am willing to take my time as long as my results show it :D

what should my steps be?

Should i use the Meguiars Deep Crystal wash in the Autodry, and in the bucket?

I know that using dish soap removes wax, and thats whats usually in my bucket.

Shoud I invest in a "machine"? I think for me id rather get a random orbital rather than just a regular buffer, is that good though? I dont wanna burn my paint. And im only doing this for my vechiles.

What type of clay bar should I use?

What do all the acronyms stand for that i keep seeing here?

Im ganna detail the Focus this weekend for the first time, and I want to do it right, and I want that black paint to SHINE!!!! :D

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

Louie
09-13-2005, 12:35 PM
All of my suggestions below are based on price ("not looking to spend a fortune"), availability, performance, and ease of use. All total you should be able to get out the door for less than $50 and have enough product for 4 - 6 cars. A good beginner`s product a step above the combo cleaner waxes out there is Meguiar`s 3-step Deep Crystal system that is made to be applied by hand. About $6 per step and available at most big box retailers and auto supply outlets.

I wouldn`t use dish soap for regular washing, spend a couple bucks for car wash soap and a wash mitt to start things off. The same retailers have large-ish microfiber towels for a few bucks each (remove the tags and wash before using) that you can use to dry your car. A good test to see how harsh your applicators / towels are is to rub them on the back of a CD and see if they leave visible scratches.

They also have a clay bar that is not too aggressive for about $12. Lots of info on claying here, just make sure you use lots of lube / soapy water, knead the clay more often than you think, and glide along your finish, not rub.

After claying, use each of the 3-steps per the instructions, you`ll see pretty quick results using the cleaner and the finish will look even better with the polish. When it comes to waxing, less is more, don`t get carried away with piling it on. Apply using a different applicator (3 for $2) and buff off with smaller microfiber towels ($6 for 6), again using separate towels for each step.

You can probably do the washing / claying in an hour and each of the 3 steps in an hour each, so leave some time. If you keep your clay / applicators / towels clean, there is little risk in damaging any of your finishes using the above.

There are lots of opinions on products, these are where I stepped to after using combo cleaner waxes and old towels. I`ve since bought a Porter Cable (PC) random orbit (also called dual-action) polisher and use other products not readily available over the counter at your local stuff-mart. No experience with the Autodry, I`m old school bucket(s) kind of guy.

Don`t waste your money on a cheap random orbital and if you have no experience rotaries can be dangerous. The price of a PC, backing plate, pads will run $150 - 200, I`d save your money until you can swing the cost.

Enjoy the obsession...

Chang
09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
If your paints in good condition with very minor defects then you can get it done by hand pretty easily with OTC products.

But if you have some seroius paint defects or even moderate your going to invest at least I`d say 250+. That includes a Porter Cable 7336SP from lowes ~100 bucks, Pads/Plate ~50, Products ~50, Microfibers/Misc. ~50.

T@sound-xtreme
09-16-2005, 04:43 AM
thanks for all the good help guys, i am going to buy some clay, and towels, wax, and cleaner wax, and car soap here

http://stores.ebay.com/Meguiars-Katrina-Relief_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

hopefully that will help some of you guys out also.

Tyler

papi_jay
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
het xtreme - dont use that clay on the eBay meguiars site for your car , as it is very harsh . That clay is for body shops , not what you need .

ArmyZ
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
you can buy a good clay at a store like autozone... they sell QuickClay in a packaged kit with spray lube

look for a black spray bottle ... comes with clay

papi_jay
09-16-2005, 02:57 PM
yup clayMagic at autoZone with a bottle of lube $10

sillystanger
09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
het xtreme - dont use that clay on the eBay meguiars site for your car , as it is very harsh . That clay is for body shops , not what you need .

Ut oh, I picked up some of that clay becuase of the deal. I was thinking that it would be useful for spot use on bad cars before polishing. Wouldn`t it be useful to use this aggresive clay if less aggresive clay can`t get the surface smooth?

papi_jay
09-16-2005, 09:10 PM
It could be useful in little 2" square pieces cut off as bird crap etch smoothers , although if the etching is really bad usually wet sanding is the only option .

Also water etching on paint if you plan to do other severely neglected cars .

I mainly said dont get it because it is MUCH more agressive than normal clay and you will HAVE to do a compounding with a fairly agressive green or orange pad to get the marring out that clay will leave .

SO definately dont use it as " normal clay " unless etching has occured and be prepared to work extra hard to remove the scars left by that burgandy clay where it was used .

It wont pull anything " more agressively " or clean the paint any better than non-agressive graded clay though if that`s what you were thinking .

Still a good price though , might need it one day right ?