PDA

View Full Version : is mothers the only clay supplier on the planet now, or what?

Pages : [1] 2

THERUSE
09-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Yes i have been away for a while and my clay supply ran out. Every local store i went to autozone/napa/pepboys/acme all they carry is the mothers kit. One bodyshop supplier has the 3m clay in stock for 26 bucks, just clay no lube. Personally i do not like mothers clay one bit. Sure the meguiars used to smudge but it did a lot of heavy lifting that the mothers doesn`t do, much more effort bellow trim lines on daily driven cars that get clayed once a year.

I will spend the money on 3m but is it plastic like the mothers stuff, or is it more like the old streaky meguiars?

tlak
09-10-2005, 01:52 PM
tomcio :)

I used mothers clay week ago - with a lot of their QD worked fine I also got SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay from this web with their lub worked great well :)

I don`t have a lot of experiance with clay but I liked mothers just use a lot of lub :woohoo:

ViperVin
09-10-2005, 02:00 PM
I just bought the mothers kit a few days ago as well to clay my car from Autozone. It worked well for me and didn`t have any problems with it. My finish is smooth and I do not feel anything in the paint. I personally just use water and plenty of shampoo as lube and works great.

Accumulator
09-10-2005, 03:29 PM
tomciob-I don`t really care for the Mother`s clay either. For "normal" claying I greatly prefer the gray Sonus clay. The fine green stuff is nice too, but is (IMO) too mild for what you`re talking about. I`d bite the "internet order" bullet and give it a try.

imported_SilverStallion
09-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I have the Wolfgang...seems to be fine.

~Darren

BigAl3
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
if you don`t want mother`s, clay magic should be available at most all autozone`s.

Bill D
09-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Larger sizes and selections of Clay Magic can be found at a good paint and body supply store as well.

papi_jay
09-10-2005, 07:59 PM
clayMagic is great and the kit is only $10 at AutoZone if you must buy clay locally .

Also ask body shop supply stores about meguiar`s overspray clay in the plastic cans . Much better than the clay kit bars and avail in two different grades

qwik5o
09-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Ya, I know what you`re saying. Everywhere I go all they have is Mothers, and it is like 17$.

Screw that.

Duncan1800
09-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Ya, I know what you`re saying. Everywhere I go all they have is Mothers, and it is like 17$.

Screw that.

I`ve bought the Mothers, used it, and it gives passable results but I somehow felt like it should have done a better job. Now I see I wasn`t alone.

Being fairly new to this clay "thing", what are some other brands I can try? I only clay maybe once or twice a year - I would do more, but my schedule doesn`t necessarily allow so much time to detail as I would like.

Also, does clay have any sort of a shelf life or is it pretty much good until you use it up?

THERUSE
09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
i guess the higher powers heard my cries and sent this man to take care of 2 matters.

http://stores.ebay.com/Meguiars-Katrina-Relief

11 bucks for meguiars clay.

:woohoo:

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Careful, that`s the agressive clay.

THERUSE
09-12-2005, 06:43 PM
i did notice that it is aggressive but how aggressive is it?

keep in mind that the mothers retail kit is totally inadequate for the job.

1andrews
09-12-2005, 07:02 PM
I just picked up clay magic from autozone today, after realizing it was 5 bucks cheaper than mothers.

I have to admit I like it much more than Mothers.

What is the story with the `aggressive` clay? Does that mean you might have mild marring from it, and you have to polish afterwards?

TortoiseAWD
09-13-2005, 07:07 AM
What is the story with the `aggressive` clay? Does that mean you might have mild marring from it, and you have to polish afterwards?Yep. It`s generally very light marring and, in my experience, polishes out easily. If you`re planning a full detail, using the more aggressive clay to speed up a tough clay job is no big deal. If, on the other hand, you`re trying to "spot-clay" between full details, you`ll want to stay away from the stronger stuff.

Tort