PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Trim & Motor Kote

imported_animes2k
09-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Just thought I`d pass along my experiences (related in the Click & Brag section) with this product. I haven`t used it on an engine yet, but I`ve used it to protect plastic bumpers and the most brilliant of realizations on my part (hah!) on WHEEL WELLS!

Basically it lays down an acrylic shield with two "light, even" coats (that`s hard to do with the sprayer) without wiping and with 10-15 min dry time in between coats. The results on the bumper and wheel wells have been fantastic.

It`s like using 303, AA, hyper dressing etc on the wheel wells, but it doesn`t wash off with regular washing or driving in the rain. I like it very much.

Here`s the masked-off bumper shot from the Tercel:

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/details/tercel/bumper.jpg

And wheel well shot on the Tercel (I`ll have to shoot some of the pics of my S):

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/details/tercel/ww.jpg

In both instances (if it`s not obvious) the left side was done with Sonus TMK, while the right side was washed only.

Overspray should be wiped off right away, but will come off easily enough with gentle scrubbing or a cleaner like AIO or a light claying. It`s important to get the application even and to carefully absorb any excessive pooling or dripping of product, so it doesn`t cure too thick there.

Not the easiest stuff to use, but it sure looks great.

good stuff.

Bill D
09-09-2005, 02:12 PM
I sure bet it does, it will likely become my dressing of choice for wheel wells and undercarriage plastic splash shields. I use a similar product which I`ve found I must shake lest it start to gunk in bottle. I don`t use the sprayer much any more, I just apply with an applicator or sponge. Two coats pretty much gets the nice gloss desired.

Pats300zx
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Damn...looks great...I am still trying to get the hang of this product.... :nervous:

imported_animes2k
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Bill: I tried wiping it on. I think this would be the most economical way of applying it, but I think I`d need quite a few applications to get the shine and thickness that letting it dry on gets you... That said, there certainly is a bit of a learning curve :)

Bill D
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
In my situation, 2 coats does well, letting each dry on its own first.

imported_animes2k
09-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I`ll give that a shot... when i get some more... i went through the whole bottle :D

Bill D
09-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah,in that size, I take it it does go by kinda fast.