PDA

View Full Version : Any dangers in using Meguiar`s ScratchX by hand?

DeathClaw
09-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I`m completely new to car detailing, so I have a newbie question for you guys. I have some light swirls on my carbon grey car (which is one year old), and I`ve been wanting to get rid of them.

I`ve read a bit about using ScratchX to get rid of the swirls, but I was wondering if there are any dangers involved. When polishing with ScratchX, I`m basically removing some of the paint right? If that`s the case, wouldn`t the polished area end up not being leveled with the surrounding, unpolished area? Would it possible to over-polish and remove too much paint? Or does the polishing work at a microscopic level which won`t be noticeable to our own eyes?

Thanks, and any other swirl-removal tips will be much appreciated.

Big Leegr
09-09-2005, 07:43 AM
There`s always a possibility of damage when anything touches paint. Even from towels drying the car. If you are careful, any damages should be minimized, or even avoided.

If you are using ScratchX by hand, and are new to this type of thing, rub it in lightly so as to get a feel of how strong it is. I`ve used it, and if you are willing to put in the effort, it works. I recommend *MANY* light applications vs. a few with "exuberance." I feel you run a greater risk of damaging the paint when you go at it hard.

If you are using a machine, (I have not) I have read that you may get gumming up of the product.

As to the "unlevel" paint, yes, you could get a warp in the paint, but you likely wouldn`t notice it with all the factory orange peel anyway.

You may want to click on the "learn" icon and read the Autopia "handbook" for some basics. Also (If you have lots of time) do a search for ScratchX. Lots of threads on it.

Don`t expect the swirls to be gone in one wipe, or even 2. On the other hand, don`t be too worried that you`ll sand off your paint within a couple rubs either.

Good luck!

DeathClaw
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot BigLeegr. Answered all my concerns :xyxthumbs

Tasty
09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
ScratchX is designed for use by hand. I`m baffled...

JustinR32
09-09-2005, 07:54 PM
ScratchX is a fantastic product. It is SPECIFICALLY made for use by hand; that is why it takes several applications to get best results. It`s strong but breaks down very quickly. It can be hard to get the hang of, but once you figure it out you`ll be sold.

It`s best for spot fixes, but you can do the whole car if you`re young and in shape and have a lot of spare time.

There`s a great tutorial over at Meguiarsonline .com; you can find that pretty easily.

Tom

the other pc
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
And, for another opinion...

â€I`ve read a bit about using ScratchX to get rid of the swirls, but I was wondering if there are any dangers involvedâ€.As effective as it can be, ScratchX is extremely forgiving and tolerant of technique. I believe the chances of hurting your paint with the ScratchX are close to zero.

â€I`m basically removing some of the paint right?â€Yes. But ScratchX is so gentle at doing it that you would have to work hard to overdo it unless your finish was on the verge of falling off already.

If that`s the case, wouldn`t the polished area end up not being leveled with the surrounding, unpolished area? â€That happens with block sanding and, to a lesser extent, power buffing with a heavy compound. I doubt anybody could do it with ScratchX no matter how hard they tried.

â€Would it possible to over-polish and remove too much paint?â€Possible? Technically, yes. Were you planning on rubbing for a week? If not the chances are low.

â€Or does the polishing work at a microscopic level which won`t be noticeable to our own eyes?..Rub some ScratchX between your fingers. Feel anything? Nothing but smooth. The abrasives are very, very fine. You will not be able to detect any abrasion visually. You will notice that defects just sort of fade away.

Meguiar’s likes to say that ScratchX should be worked “with passionâ€, ie put some elbow into it or you’ll be at it a very long time. Here’s Meguiar’s how-to for using ScratchX (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516).

PC

DeathClaw
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys for the added input, especially the other pc for the detailed response and link.