PDA

View Full Version : Mezerna, PoorBoys, or Optimum

Chang
09-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I`m torn I have a PC and I don`t know what to buy!

I need somehting that will give me the best results but also have a wide range of uses. Optimum only has a polish and a compound wich seems like it may lack in range of abrasiveness. I`ve heard mezerna PG and IP work better then the SSR`s!

Need lots of help. I`ve been using the Hi-Temp`s but I think the others would be better.

blackcarwoes
09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Just my opinion and experience with Menzerna and SSRs:

If you ever see yourself getting a rotary, get the Menzerna line, much easier to use and leaves a flawless finish!

But for the PC, i think there is enough praise for both and whatever you choose, you will get results.

imported_BigTinVA
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Chang,

Is there a problem with the Hi-Temp products that you are currently using? I`m curious as to why you believe the others will be better for your application. Which Hi-Temp products are you using?

imported_Amused
09-08-2005, 04:02 PM
chang - what level of marring are you trying to correct? you`ve mentioned PG and IP, so can we assume you have at least medium swirling and oxidation to take out? i really like the menzerna line myself and have fallen out of love with PB`s SSR line(but still hold their LSPs very highly). optimum is good stuff, i wouldn`t underestimate its ability with a PC, just choose your pad appropriately. i like optimum`s workability the best as it doesn`t dust and works for a very long time. Hi-Temp seems to make a good product as well, but i`ve only had experience with their low-cut formula. i guess with a different product you can compare what you`ve achieved with Hi-Temp previously. maybe you can mix and match to get whatever best suits your needs?

Chang
09-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, Hi-Temp levlers is all I have used, wanted to try something different. But Hi-Temps are a great value and leave a great finish but I they`re are some water spots and scratches that I couldn`t even get out with the heavy cut levler and an orange pad. It just felt wierd that even the heavy cut didn`t feel the least bit gritty.

As for level or marring, I`ll be correcting a lot of different levels of marring. I do a lot of cars for family and friends and friends of family and friends.

I`m going with price being no object, and I`ve already read that IP is better then SSR2.5, so could I make the same assumption that SSR3 is inferior to PG? And as for optimum I`ve read that it greatly depends on what pad you want to use it with.

Anybody know what the optimum polish and compound are equivilent to in terms of other products?

Still don`t know what i want ahhh!

plus where would be the cheapest place to get poorboys, merzerna, optimum

edit: Just read some more stuff and optimum looks like a real good deal 15 bucks for 32oz! looks like optimum is in the lead. Optimum polish and compound depends highly on your pad choice right?

Also can I buy s100 which is suppose to be a motocycle wax on a car? s100 or nattys both same price :x

Anthony O.
09-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I love Optimum but Hi-Temp also offers some very nice products and the marring you can`t remove with the Hi-Temp is not due to the product but due to the PC not being able to take it to the next level.

You most likely now need the heat and friction from a rotary to remove the stubborn spots.

Anthony

Scottwax
09-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Optimum would be my choice, although I also really like the SSR line too. I haven`t used enough Menzerna products to really have a strong opinion but I do like FMJ.

imported_Picus
09-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Optimum would be my choice, although I also really like the SSR line too. I haven`t used enough Menzerna products to really have a strong opinion but I do like FMJ.

Agree ^. Optimum compound is about the abrasive equivilant of SSR 2.5 (maybe a little more) on a cutting pad, except it doesn`t dust and has much longer workability. Optimum polish is about as abrasive as SSR2 on a cutting pad, and SSR 1 on a polishing pad, the deal with both Optimum products is their abrasiveness scales with the pad you`re using. So you essentially cover all four SSR`s with the two optimums and you get more working time and less dusting. I like the SSR`s, but the fact that the optimum doesn`t dust does it for me. The only time I really find myself using the SSR`s now is either in direct sun, which is rare, or if I`m using 3+cutting pad to remove really serious defects. Just my call on that.

Of course I must say that I *love* PB`s LSP products.

I can`t speak regarding Menzerna as I have not tried them.