PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is going on?

imported_pugoman
09-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Why was the Serious Performance thread closed down?

I noticed that Bill D (moderator) posted this...

posted by Bill D: "A note here to those who missed the rule:

It is against the rules to promote other forums. This includes posts and signatures."

Who was promoting another forum either in a post or in a signature?

From the comments that were posted, none of us were even promoting Serious Performance as a retailer, just wondering amongst ourselves what had happened with regards to the glitch on the Serious Performance homepage.

Makes you wonder what Autopia is turning into when a pretty innocent thread like that gets closed... just don`t understand it!

:confused:

Bill D
09-08-2005, 06:55 AM
A thread started purely for the discussion of another forum is not permitted here.

These are the rules pertaining to that:

Soliciting for Members of this site to go and join another site is also considered a form of Spam. Mentioning another site for reference or as an information source is acceptable but direct solicitation aimed at our Members to bolster some other site`s Membership is inappropriate and subject to Moderator disciplinary action.

The same rules that apply to your posts apply to your signatures and avatars. Please keep this in mind when selecting your avatar or signature.

This became the policy when the rules were revised. We see it being no different from someone from Autopia going on another site and starting a thread to discuss Autopia, what happened to it, etc. If the adminstration of that forum doesn`t have a problem with that, that is their decision. As it stands here, we don`t want those kinds of threads.

Having links to such sites in one`s signature is considered solicitation here as it appears in every post one with it makes.

You may always contact DavidB directly if you wish for consideration of the policy to be revised.

If the decision is made that this is fine, by all means, I will cease monitoring it.

MikeWarner
09-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Bill. Serious performance don`t have a forum.

Bill D
09-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Sorry, meant about the forums in the sigs. This excerpt was a red flag for spam:

Alex - when are you going to introduce online payment? I`ve wanted to order from you many times but always went somewhere else as I can`t be bothered to print out the product list, fill it out, write a cheque, put in envelope, write address, find stamp, post..... Call me lazy, but I would rather fill in some card details and hit submit. Have a look at PayPal - I use it on my site and as soon as it was introduced, sales more than doubled.

We don`t want discussions about the staff/owners of other commercial sites who are not sponsors here. We would much prefer such discussion would stay in e mails.

MikeWarner
09-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Ok - No problem.

Alex Creasey
09-08-2005, 07:36 AM
I had two forums in my sigs, been there since I joined in 2003 so never even gave it a thought. My bad obviously.

As far as the above post Bill... fair play, hence I pm`d Mike back rather than post anything of a commercial nature on the forum which I don`t think I`ve ever done here.... Your the mod, so I`ll go with your better judgement.......

Bill D
09-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Fair enough, I won`t even get into the PMing thing. Thanks all.

Alex Creasey
09-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Again, fair play, an e-mail would have been more appropriate if available, apologies.

imported_pugoman
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Now it all makes more sense!

Naughty boy Alex!

Flynn
09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I like a well moderated forum. Keep up the good work.

Alex Creasey
09-09-2005, 07:47 AM
yeah, slap my wrists! ;)

Bill D
09-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Just so you folks know, we do take topics like those addressed here seriously.

AndyC_1
09-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Is it me or has Autopuia suddenley become less friendly - Alex has had those links in his sig since before I joined and he has never once promoted himself commercially AFAIK. A lot of UK car nuts are finding this place (and of course buying lots of supplies here too!!!) - let`s just hope this doesn`t put them off too much - an over moderated forum is no fun for anyone - IMHO.