PDA

View Full Version : Polish Painted Bumpers???

sillystanger
09-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I`m currently polishing my 98 red neon and am wondering if I should be polishing the plastic bumpers as well. I`m using a PC and just about finished using SFX-2 and will begin my final round of polishing using Z-PC shortly. Should I use Z-PC on the bumpers too???

pontman43
09-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Are they bare platic or painted?

sillystanger
09-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Are they bare plastic or painted?

This is where I`m a little lost... I believe it`s just a bare plastic (it`s more of a matte finish compared to the paint)... in fact the color at this point is slightly duller than the paint.

So I guess the answer is that it is just red plastic and I shouldn`t hit it with the PC?

Also, a general question about polishing with the PC. How long should I be working the polishes (SFX1, SFX2, and ZPC)? I`ve been doing the 2`x2` area for about 2 minutes per section. I believe this is correct but I`m fuzzy and forget where that info is (plus I have no patience to find it as I`m physically beat from doing this pretty constantly for the past 24 hours... don`t know how you pros do it... I`m more drained now that I`ve been after most workouts!) Thanks guys for the help...

imported_animes2k
09-06-2005, 09:19 PM
don`t quote me on this, but I think they appear dull because they`re oxidized... this is relatively common with painted plastic bumpers. They should polish up, but if they`re like the Miata`s painted plastic bumpers, they`re likely not to match the original paint as well as you may like...

Even if it IS unpainted colored plastic (pretty sure it`s not) hitting it with SFX-2 and a polishing pad shouldn`t hurt it... just take it easy, take it slow and check your work often. See how it`s cleaning up but do it on an inconspicuous area, perhaps by hand first.