PDA

View Full Version : what would i use with this ?

pauloh22
09-06-2005, 06:19 PM
i was rummaging through the garage and found that my dad has an old black and decker random action polisher.. i want to be able to polish and wax with it but he only has a buffing pad for it. i would just buy some foam pads for it but theres a slight problem:

it has an 8" backing plate. if im not mistaken, the ones sold (at this site at least) are 5"

is there anywhere i can find 8" foam pads to be able to polish and wax with this ?

thanks

- paul

Tasty
09-06-2005, 07:05 PM
This is probably similar to a Sears random orbital buffer, and what it is used for is throwing in the garbage can. They just don`t have enough power to do anything constructive.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-06-2005, 08:57 PM
old black and decker random action polisher

what it is used for is throwing in the garbage can. :LOLOL

Any way of removing the BP ?

imported_truzoom
09-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Meguiar`s sells 8" polishing pads with velcro, but I believe those are designed for rotary.

Accumulator
09-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, check out the Meguiar`s Online site. I *think* they offer stuff for polishers like that. Mike Phillips discusses them quite frequently. You might also check out the other usual recommendations, such as TOL.

Might not be any good for correction, but it`d probably beat doing LSPs by hand. IIRC Meg`s even offers a MF bonnet for machines like that.

pauloh22
09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
i was at kragen yesterday and they have 8" cotten terry polishing pads.. i know foam is better, but would the cotton ones work ?

Tasty
09-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Work for what? I don`t want to sound snooty here, but you aren`t going to get much done with that buffer. If you want to remove swirls and such, shell out the money and get a tool that will work. It`s worth it, trust me. The Sears buffer I bought is collecting dust now in the back of a garage cabinet.

the other pc
09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
:welcome to Autopia pauloh22!

â€it has an 8" backing plate. if im not mistaken, the ones sold (at this site at least) are 5"

is there anywhere i can find 8" foam pads to be able to polish and wax with this ?â€I think we need to get a clearer picture of this machine. Most inexpensive orbital polishers don’t have backing plates. They usually have fixed foam pads that you stretch bonnets over.

The polishers we usually talk about here have “hook†faced Velcro plates and the pads have Velcro “loop†on them for quick change out. (Yeah, yeah, Edge has a square drive snap system but let’s not get all picky for once. :o )

Does your polisher have a removable foam pad or a fixed foam pad? Does it use bonnets?

â€i was at kragen yesterday and they have 8" cotten terry polishing pads.. i know foam is better, but would the cotton ones work ? â€I’m guessing that you’re referring to bonnets.

Because of their low power and low speed machines of the type you have are ineffective for products that must be worked like cutting polishes and cleaners. They can be used for wipe-on/wipe-off products like waxes and glazes. That can save you some arm work but will not produce better results than doing it by hand.

Foam is preferable and there are foam bonnets available for most sizes of polishers. The terry cloth bonnets may well be adequate.

Meguiar`s sells 8" polishing pads with velcro, but I believe those are designed for rotary.Meguiar’s pads are pretty typical in that the 6.5†pads are designed for a 5†Velcro plate and the 8†pads are designed for a 6†Velcro plate (although you can use 8†pads on a 5†plate if you don’t need to work the product hard). Either size can be used with a rotary or an orbital.

Meguiars’s makes foam and microfiber bonnets for 9â€-10†polishers but I don’t think they’ll fit an 8†machine correctly.

...The Sears buffer I bought is collecting dust now in the back of a garage cabinet.He he he, the Waxmaster I bought is collecting dust in the back somebody else’s garage. I “loaned†it out and every time he asks about giving it back I managed to dodge it. :D

PC.