PDA

View Full Version : Humble advice for your health

AMDin93103
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Wear ear protection when using power equipment for anything more than brief periods of time. This is much easier in a residential (driveway/ garage) setting versus in a business lot but it makes a world of difference. I am going to get a hearing test to gauge where my ears test but in my gut I know they ain`t what they were a few years ago. Maybe I have overly sensitive ears?! ! . . . bright yellow marshmallows are my new friend while polishing/vac`ing. Just a heads up.

chml17l
09-03-2005, 10:17 PM
A very good point that many often overlook when using lawnmowers, leaf blowers, or other power tools.

Hearing damage is not dependent on time of exposure to loud sounds. The effect of many short term exposures to intense sound will actually be cumulative and this type of damage cannot be repaired by any current medical techniques. Many brief periods of exposure will eventually add up to some type of hearing loss.

Supurban
09-04-2005, 08:04 PM
This is an excellent point and I feel compelled to hobble my way on top of this soap box. Whenever I am using sanders I make sure I have hearing protection along with a dust mask. I use safety glasses for a lot of things I didn`t used to in my young and stupid days.

Sometimes it seems like overkill and little gooby-looking. But imagine how hard it would be to appreciate a fine polish job without sight or the satisfying rattle of dirt going up the shop vac hose when deaf?

Scottwax
09-04-2005, 08:10 PM
WHAT???

Sorry, couldn`t resist! I normally wear headphones while I am working and that usually is enough to take the edge off the noise from the vacuum, buffer, seemingly always present landscapers and people coming up to me and asking me if I detail cars and if so, am I mobile.

DaGonz
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Good advice. I know that I have a hearing loss from listening to 23 + years of sirens and airhorns from the fire trucks, not to mention fire alarm systems ..of course, playing in a rock group in high school and college didn`t help, either...