PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new car please!

JZt
09-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

my first post starts with a question. I am taking delivery next week of a new Porschce 987 in Basalt Black metallic and I would really like some advice on how to look after it, especiall for the first few months.

I have an Autoglym Lifeshine kit sourced from Ebay (for £10!!) and I was wondering if this was any good to apply to the new paint work.

I know before I start sealing the paint with any longterm sealer, I should prep it first. I have bought Meguiars quik clay detailer to do this and I intend to do this after washing the car with Zymol car wash shampoo.

Once dry after the claying, I intend to do the gloss protectant from the Autoglym pack.

After curing for the requisite 4 hours, I intend to skip Meguiars stage 1 (cleaner) as I have already clayed, and go straight to Stage 2 (Polish). After this, and finally (with some very sore arms!) I will do stage 3 (Carnuba wax), all from Meguiars.

I admit I intend to wash the car with the Zymol ever 7 -10 days or so, and clay/detail as I see fit, always polishing then waxing after claying.

Can you guys give me any tips regarding the Auto Glym lifeshine and my plan of attack. All constructive critcism is well receieved. Also, I am a bit reluctant to use the glass protector on the glass as the Porsche has a hydrophobic coating and the product has sulphuric acid in it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

JZt

the other pc
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
:welcome to Autopia JZt, and congrats on the new ride!

Can`t comment on the Autoglym, not something I`ve tried (nor seen much of here in the colonies) but it sounds like you`re on the right track.

I would suggest that claying and the Deep Crystal step 1 cleaner are complimentary rather than either/or. Since you`re starting from scratch I would do both to give your baby the freshest start. Then go ahead with the rest of your plan.

Have fun,

PC.

Lowejackson
09-04-2005, 07:19 AM
My knowledge of Lifeshine is low but I am assuming it is very similar to the standard consumer range.

If you apply the Gloss after using a wax I suspect it either would not bond properly or it might remove the wax. Applying wax after Gloss does work very well.