PDA

View Full Version : Any Detailing Dangers?

Shaun Carollo
01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
What are the dangers (if any) of detailing cars day in and day out?

Below Reality
01-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Long Term I wager that joints (knee`s, elbow`s, wrist`s, ankle`s, etc.)

Arthritis possibly.

Other than that, the obvious dangers with different chemicals, water, tools, and electricity.

Just have to be careful and think things through slowly and things should work out fine.

The most significant danger I can think of is one that most of us here are allready feeling the effects of:

Obsessive Compulsive Product Buying.

That one comes in second of course to the spousal understanding factor! ;)

Tarios
01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Long Term I wager that joints (knee`s, elbow`s, wrist`s, ankle`s, etc.)

Arthritis possibly.

Other than that, the obvious dangers with different chemicals, water, tools, and electricity.

Just have to be careful and think things through slowly and things should work out fine.

The most significant danger I can think of is one that most of us here are allready feeling the effects of:

Obsessive Compulsive Product Buying.

That one comes in second of course to the spousal understanding factor! ;)

Oh yeeeess...hhehee:lol Obsessive Compulsive Product Buying -OCPB- that is quite an issue.. Everytime I get a client..I buy something :D

Apart from that..I don`t really know exactly what are in these chemicals we use..Especially the degreasers like Simple Green.Today I detailed a car for the first time this year and I did my FIRST interior washing of carpets etc..I used SG on the door panels and all..worked like a charm..I then repassed those areas with OXI clean to remove the SG residue..SG is a strong product so I didn`t want it just sitting there..Sprayed some SPOT DETERGENT in the problem areas as well...so a lot of mist in the work area..I had forgotten about the mist, but I went and put on my filter mask.

It`s very cold here so I had the garage door closed. The mist is still there even though it may not be visible..still remains in the work area around me.
I had forgotten about that over the winter...nevertheless..when I work withthose things, and especially in closed doors..I wear the filter mask...

kimwallace
01-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Most if not all newer detailing supplies must meet strict environmental requirements.
Most are safe if used as directed. Some common sense is still needed to not breathe in product vapors. Another problem is protecting your hands from some of the harsher chemicals ... as much as I hate gloves, I have started using them more to protect my hands from drying out.
The biggest danger comes from doing too good of a job ... ... ...
Going blind from the amazing shine on the paint :lmfao

larrendeuce
01-16-2005, 08:02 PM
The shop I work at is designed like a tunnel with 2 bays. The bay doors need to be opened to gain access, and with both open its very windy. I`ve had a couple 19-25 degree days recently and got mild hypothermia 3 times in december. Even wearing all appropriate protection it still is dangerous. Productivity suffers in the cold as well. :brick

Poorboy
01-16-2005, 08:49 PM
slipping on tire dressings ...inhaling chemicals in a non-ventilated work area ,getting chemicals in your eyes, the usual aches and pains from bending and twisting into the nooks and crannies of small cars ...among others:dunno

tubafeak
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Doing a car you like and buying one of your own, not that I`ve ever done that (cough, cough....).