PDA

View Full Version : RainX on paint?

pontman43
08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
I was wondering what RainX would do on paint. Mainly as a last step after wax (kinda like QD), maybe for added protection (especially against water spots). Would this work or would it remove the wax or just not work?

papi_jay
08-31-2005, 11:28 PM
It has LOTS of alchohol in it like 75% so yes it would ruin your wax job

Don
09-01-2005, 02:59 AM
It has LOTS of alchohol in it like 75% so yes it would ruin your wax job

I`ve accidentally dripped Rain-X on my paint while doing my windows...it practically stripped all the wax off in the few seconds it was on there. On a side note, I did Rain-X the hood of a beater Toyota pick-up I had...it didn`t last very long at all...most quick detailers have better longevity.

aaron33
09-01-2005, 06:48 AM
RainX smells like it contains acetone to me.... I did drip it on my mum`s car before and it turned the clearcoat to an opaque white color.

Big Leegr
09-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Here`s another thread about Rain-X on paint.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51575

chml17l
09-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Rain-X is nothing more than a silicone oil suspended in an alcohol carrier solvent. Many have reported it is great for removing tree sap. With the high alchol content, it will also probably remove most of your wax or sealant. Stick with a product that is designed to protect paint and save the Rain-X for the windows.

pontman43
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Kinda what I thought. I never really notice the smell, maybe because I have the old stuff you dillute yourself.

aaron33
09-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Rain-X is nothing more than a silicone oil suspended in an alcohol carrier solvent. Many have reported it is great for removing tree sap. With the high alchol content, it will also probably remove most of your wax or sealant. Stick with a product that is designed to protect paint and save the Rain-X for the windows.

I had applied RainX using one of my Meg`s hand foam pads. A few days later, the foam pad was disentigrating into foam powder.