PDA

View Full Version : need a GTA detailer for some smr work

s2skimon
08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
friend of mine needs some smr removal. honda black car. Its been to Fine Details twice and he claims there are still swirls, they can`t seem to do the job.

I don`t want the job cuz i only have a porter cable and balancing the smr compound with a pc will take me literally 5-7 hours which i don`t have the time for. Did it once before and swore never to do badly swirled cars without a rotary again. If i had a rotary it would be done no problem.

He needs rotary work, then pc work, then lsp ..

if you can do this job, can you send me your contact info ?

thanks

s2skimon
09-07-2005, 06:10 AM
wow.. i guess Fine Details are the only ones in Ontario with a rotary

sQuashed
09-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Apparently, they need alot more experience with the rotary too. :think:

s2skimon
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
i guess so.. I wish i had my hands on one, i`d do it quite easily for the guy .. oh well..

salty
09-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Depending on the swirls the PC should be able to remove them rather quickly. Did you do a test spot? Generally mild rotary swirls are easier than washing swirls to remove.

imported_416 Auto
09-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Usually they will use a rotary with a silicon based polish. At a busy shop the chance of them using a quality smr is 1000000000 to 1. When they use the silicon (inexpensive) polish if they don`t let the paint heat up they are basically filling in the marks with poor quality silicon. The idea behind those products is that they work fast because they just cover up. One wash with a strong soap and it`s gone. The way to make silicon based stuff work is to really heat up your clear so it`s soft. ( this is a basic breakdown of what happens). When it`s hot enough is when it will cut like it should. Next finish up with a polishing pad because even though it looks swirl free after the wool it`s usually not, but because of the fillers you can`t see it. Seal it and your done. Or if you really know how to use a rotary, use a Body Shop safe product and away you go.

416 Auto

s2skimon
09-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Depending on the swirls the PC should be able to remove them rather quickly. Did you do a test spot? Generally mild rotary swirls are easier than washing swirls to remove.

should is the operative word.. but it did not..

trust me, a badly swirled finished takes way too long with a porter cable

I busted my chops one day on a hood of an acura with SSR3 , Orange pad, pc speed 6 and barely made a dent into it.. After 3 years of use, the porter cable is simply not for me any longer