PDA

View Full Version : Pad Density and Aggressiveness

superstring
08-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I`m wondering if, in general, there`s a correlation between the (perceived) density of a foam pad and its` aggressiveness? The reason I`m asking is that I have a Lake Country polishing pad (white) that`s significantly stiffer/denser than my other two LC white pads. Is it possible, even though it`s white, that it could be a cutting pad in disguise? ;) :confused:

Thanks for your help.

papi_jay
08-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the edge pads . Blue is softer than the white by far

mataku
08-28-2005, 10:40 PM
hm.. interesting that they are different "perceived" density. I knew there are two Lake county types, but it seems that both whites are polishing pads. here`s a good chart if you haven`t seen it yet:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53260&highlight=pad+list

Accumulator
08-29-2005, 07:45 AM
It seems instinctively/intuitively obvious huh? But just to muddy the waters a little ;) Griot`s orange polishing pads seem dense and sorta stiff, yet they have *very* little cut (too little, IMO). But yeah, other things being equal I`d think that denser = more aggressive too. Might be such a minor difference as to be transparent to the user though.

superstring
08-29-2005, 10:12 AM
mataku, thanks, I have seen that chart. However, the pad in question is the same type as the other 2 LC ones I have.

Accumulator, I, too, have a couple of Griot`s orange pads and have to agree with you on both counts about them. To muddy the waters even further, Meguiar`s polishing pads are even softer/less firm than the white LC pads, but seem to have about an equal cut, in my experience.

I haven`t actually tried the "stiff" LC pad, but was immediately struck with how different it felt to my other 2. Obviously there are other factors that determine the aggressiveness of a pad, but it seems odd that a pad from the same manufacturer, made for the same purpose, can feel so different!

wannafbody
08-29-2005, 02:20 PM
IMO pores per SQ. in (PPI) has more to do with aggressiveness than stiffness of the pad