PDA

View Full Version : Honda red ss paint seems really soft

wifehatescar
08-27-2005, 08:19 PM
I`ve owned my Milano Red single stage Acura Integra for 2 years and I`ve decided the paint is just really soft. I can remove the swirls 100% with no fillers and then after 1 month and 3 washes (pretty carefuly with 2 buckets, wool mit, etc) some slight swirling comes back.

Just wanted to see if I suck or if this is normal :think:

I treat my wifes Ford Focus the same (ok slightly worse :grinno: ) and it will barely swirl up over a year.

SpoiledMan
08-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the club. That`s Honda paint in general.

imported_Amused
08-27-2005, 08:27 PM
This is fairly normal. Honda paint is very soft. Just do what you can to minimize the marring from washing. My old Prelude and GS-R had the same problem.

papi_jay
08-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Find a paint shop that does UV curing and ask them can they cure your car`s paint harder and how much . Should be under $150 tops .

Wash it completely and treat your rubber and vinyl first

travisdecpn
08-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I totally feel you on this one. My 20 year old SS red is the exact same way. I`ve tried my best to keep swirls at a minimum, but the paint is just too soft and is finally starting to show its age. Sometimes we just have to realize that we can only do so much and that there are paints that are prone to swirls. I am not comfortable with getting too aggressive on a monthly basis, so I have choosen to use products like #80 and VM to maintain my truck.

Accumulator
08-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Find a paint shop that does UV curing and ask them can they cure your car`s paint harder and how much . Should be under $150 tops ..

Never heard of this...can you tell us more? I would`ve thought that more UV is the last thing one would want to expose ss red to :confused:

stilez
08-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the club. That`s Honda paint in general.

The sad truth :(.

wifehatescar
08-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, at least I know it`s not just me.

imported_kgb
08-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Never heard of this...can you tell us more? I would`ve thought that more UV is the last thing one would want to expose ss red to :confused:

Same here. What is this process all about?

papi_jay
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Normally during a fresh re-paint there are additives mixed into the paint that cause the UV to work better drying the paint out .

The reason I suggest wifehatescar try it is because it still works without the additives , just slower .

It dries paint by causing the paint to dry from the bottom up . The metal panel heats up more and dries it and hardens it from the inside out .

It was new at the shop I worked at close to the time I was leaving , so I didn`t get the full ins and outs of it , that`s why I suggested he ask around and see if it would be effective or not for hardening his paint further .

We switched out because heat booths are dangerous to the rubber components on your car and takes longer also

imported_pdsterns
08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
The wifes 2004 seems soft too. I continually find fingernail scratches in the dished pocket under the door handle and she swears she is carefull. It might be a wowan (fingernails) thing. Easy to remove with scratch x but a pita all the time.

Accumulator
08-29-2005, 06:08 PM
papi_jay- I see. It`ll be interesting to see how that approach works out. The shop I patronize is still baking them (no problems so far, at least on mine), but then they don`t use much ss these days, only on the old stuff where b/c is inappropriate.

I guess I just :scared: when I think UV/ss/red.

papi_jay
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Well then again it is only 1 hour or so MAX per panel if it`s a portable cure lamp , and one hour total if it`s a UV booth .

Plus there are no oxidants and such to add to the UV breaking down the paint in the shop , so different UV than the sun`s harmful rays .

Accumulator
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
OK, I wondered if I was over-generalizing about "UV exposure".