PDA

View Full Version : reliability/quality of pipercross systems

imported_Griz
08-24-2005, 01:51 PM
This could just as soon be in the car modifications section, but since Pipercross is a UK manufactured product, I thought it best to check in here.

Anyway, a US distributor is currently working with Pipercross to develop Viper intake systems for (among other vehicles) the US spec E36 M3. Does anyone have any experience with these systems or care to comment with anything they have heard.

Jason

WX51 TXR
08-25-2005, 01:21 AM
They aren`t very popular with owners of VAG cars (i.e. VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda), as other products seem to offer much better performance gains for around the same price. For VAG cars, the BMC CDA system and the Green Dynatwist are popular choices. I couldn`t comment on the application of Piper systems to other makes.

RobDon
08-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Foam filters like the Viper are known to be oily and can damage the airflow meter.

Alex Creasey
08-26-2005, 07:29 AM
I used to run a Pipercross filter on my old Impreza STI. The only reason I used it was you could run it dry unlike alot of foam systems that were oily and affect the MAF.

I ran it for a good three years and never had a problem.

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2046&size=big&ppuser=5987

imported_Griz
08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the responses, I think I remember seeing the CDA sytem a few years back.

In any case, I may try to fabricate my own intake system, the inline filtration unit is beyond me, but the rest of the set-up is not an unreasonable undertaking

Lowejackson
08-28-2005, 05:38 AM
A filter on its own is unlikely to do anything, you need to consider the entire system. If you buy a new super duper intake system and the real bottleneck is the throttle housing there will not be any improvements. In the old days you really could just bolt on power with a new filter and exhaust box but with something like an M3 you would really need to work to get any meaningful improvments.

For more information on filters have a look at www.bobistheoilguy.com

DrSauekraut
08-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Griz. I had a Pipercross Viper for my 00 VW GTI GLX. The unit itself is constructed of high-quality carbon fiber. In conjunction with my other modifications (software, 2.5†exhaust, cams), peak gain was +8HP/+11 LB/FT. of torque on a Dynojet 248C. It was awesome . . . throttle response was crisp, better fuel economy, and the car just pulled through the gears like a pit-bull with AIDS.

However VW was plagued with major component/reliability issues through 2002.5. After 3 months of spirited driving, the MAF sensor failed (not attributable to oil . . . design flaw) and the show was over. I replaced 3 sensors in total and could no longer afford the frustration and headache.

If you’re interested in giving it a go, contact UPsolute NA. They specialize in chip tuning and are exclusive distributors for Pipercross in the US. Good luck :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
08-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Griz. I had a Pipercross Viper for my 00 VW GTI GLX. The unit itself is constructed of high-quality carbon fiber. In conjunction with my other modifications (software, 2.5†exhaust, cams), peak gain was +8HP/+11 LB/FT. of torque on a Dynojet 248C. It was awesome . . . throttle response was crisp, better fuel economy, and the car just pulled through the gears like a pit-bull with AIDS.

However VW was plagued with major component/reliability issues through 2002.5. After 3 months of spirited driving, the MAF sensor failed (not attributable to oil . . . design flaw) and the show was over. I replaced 3 sensors in total and could no longer afford the frustration and headache.

If you’re interested in giving it a go, contact UPsolute NA. They specialize in chip tuning and are exclusive distributors for Pipercross in the US. Good luck :xyxthumbs

Was the increase after installing a new filter or the culmination of the other modifications.

imported_Griz
08-28-2005, 09:45 AM
A filter on its own is unlikely to do anything, you need to consider the entire system. If you buy a new super duper intake system and the real bottleneck is the throttle housing there will not be any improvements. In the old days you really could just bolt on power with a new filter and exhaust box but with something like an M3 you would really need to work to get any meaningful improvments.

For more information on filters have a look at www.bobistheoilguy.com

Well I`m look for a system that directly draws air in from the outside rather than from inside the engine bay. From start-up I wouldn`t be disappoinnted about gaining nothing more than a louder intake.

I`m interested in cutting back on the effects of the hot air under the hood after the engine has had a chance to warm up.

DrSauekraut
08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Was the increase after installing a new filter or the culmination of the other modifications.

Sorry that was confusing. Yes the +8/11 gain was the intake alone . . . very surprising indeed. Our thought was the stock intake is a bottleneck. The other modifications in conjunction with the intake, allowed the engine to ingest more air and yield such high numbers.

In retrospect the 12V VR6 was not necessarily the easiest motor to tune. Quite costly too.

Gris - the PX Viper is a CAI . . . air is drawn from the lower intake vents, i.e. ram air effect.

imported_Griz
08-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Gris - the PX Viper is a CAI . . . air is drawn from the lower intake vents, i.e. ram air effect.

Exactly, and I really appreciate your feedback.