PDA

View Full Version : Help: My girlfriend wants her own wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
My girlfriend turns out to be a clean car freak like me (which is good!) and ever since I detailed her car for her she has been shocked by my products! I guess she loved how smooth her paint was. Even though she has been using Turtle Wax car soap and some Crystal Glaze, she does try. So she asked me to get her some wax so she can do it when I am busy.

I was thinking about putting together a detail kit for her. I want to get her a wash, a detail spray/ QD, a drying towel, some MF towels (which I already have), a good tire dressing, a wheel cleaner, and a wax. She won`t need any polish because I will do that for her as needed. They all have to be relatively easy to use though!

Here is what I was thinking:

Soap: NXT or TOL Bubble Bath Wash (she uses a lot of soap, so it has to be cheap!)

Drying Towel: Meguiar`s Water Magnet/ MF Waffle Weave Towel

Detail Spray: Mother`s Showtime/ Adam`s Detail Spray/ or Quikshine

Tire Dressing: Undecided, but she prefers a spray

Wheel Cleaner: Poorboys Spray & Rinse/ A2Z

Wax: NXT Paste Wax (never used it, but heard it was decent) or Optimum Wax?

This is for her white 2003 Celica with very hard to clean aftermarket wheels. Any help would be appreciated!

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
If it was my gf, unless she`s really used to handling chemicals, I would steer away from those harsh wheel cleaners and stick with something more neutral. As far as the tire spray, I vote for Armor All Detailer`s Choice, which I believe is discontinued, but I`m still able to find it at Target. If she gets any overspray on the wheels/paint, no big deal.

EDIT: I`ve never used the OCW, but from the descriptions, that`s the ticket for ur gf.

AutoCadillac
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Good move dude! Save giving this detail kit to her as a birthday, anniversary or Christmas gift. No use to waste a good gift idea on no occassion.

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
If it was my gf, unless she`s really used to handling chemicals, I would steer away from those harsh wheel cleaners and stick with something more neutral. As far as the tire spray, I vote for Armor All Detailer`s Choice, which I believe is discontinued, but I`m still able to find it at Target. If she gets any overspray on the wheels/paint, no big deal.

EDIT: I`ve never used the OCW, but from the descriptions, that`s the ticket for ur gf.

I have to go to Target today or tomorrow anyway so I`ll see if I can it, thanks!

papi_jay
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I would get her ClearKote White carnuba wax and their Spray n Shine . Maybe some RMG if she likes to go two steps . Better value + longer lasting than otc NXT .

Maybe the Optimum spray over top a few days later for longer lasting , smoother wetter

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Good move dude! Save giving this detail kit to her as a birthday, anniversary or Christmas gift. No use to waste a good gift idea on no occassion.

Ironically we have the same birthday which is coming up in October. I may piece together a nice kit and wait until her (our!) birthday, but my only concern is that it may be too cold to use the products by then :nervous:

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2005, 11:42 AM
oh, and how is that new NXT Glass Cleaner by the way? Anyone know? She needs an easy to use product (no more streaky Windex lol). I use Eagle 1 20/20 but heard the NXT one is better.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Get her her own Autopian acoount!

Way2SSlow
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Here is what I was thinking:

Soap: NXT or TOL Bubble Bath Wash (she uses a lot of soap, so it has to be cheap!)

Drying Towel: Meguiar`s Water Magnet/ MF Waffle Weave Towel

Detail Spray: Mother`s Showtime/ Adam`s Detail Spray/ or Quikshine

Tire Dressing: Undecided, but she prefers a spray

Wheel Cleaner: Poorboys Spray & Rinse/ A2Z

Wax: NXT Paste Wax (never used it, but heard it was decent) or Optimum Wax?

This is for her white 2003 Celica with very hard to clean aftermarket wheels. Any help would be appreciated!

Soap: Right on!

Water Magnet: Right on!

Detail Spray: I really like Adam`s spray. It`s plesant smelling and easy to use. She might like it because it`s pink.

For the tires (if she has to have a spray) I would go with Hot Shine. I havent tried the aerosol version, but it has an adjustable cap on it to control how wide it sprays.

On the wheel cleaner, I would look for something that isnt too terribly harsh. I would hate to have spent good coin on a set of trick wheels and then use some acidic wheel cleaner and mess them up. I would get an assortment of brushes for her to effectively clean her wheels with a less acidic cleaner. You might want to remove and seal the wheels for her as well. If you go with something strong like Spray and Wipe....make sure you dilute it for her.

Wax: OCW is the bomb. It has pretty good durability, and it`s easy to apply. Just dont use it in the sun, or you will curse the day you bought it. :D The problem I find with Paste wax is that people (that aren`t into detailing like an autopian) always want to put it on really thick. Before I knew what I was doing, I used to put it on thick so I would feel that I was getting protection.

For glass cleaner, I usually use Poorboys spray and wipe, and the hit the glass with either OCW or Castrol Accuvision. I like spray and wipe on glass almost as much as I like it on paint.

imported_Amused
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Detail Spray: CK Quik Shine

Tire Dressing: PB`s BnB

Wax: CK Carnauba Moose Wax

I find CMW so easy to use and the results so good that it`s become my lazy day`s wax :)

Quik Shine has also become a favorite of mine. Great 1-2 punch!

imported_Picus
08-24-2005, 12:14 PM
I`d get her two waxes, one to apply via foam applicator (liquid, paste, whatever). CMW, Natty`s, S100 all come to mind, then I`d give her a spray bottle of OWC for when she is just QD`ing (just a nice wax booster) or feeling lazy.

Quickstrike
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Might want to get her one more product.. an interior dressing.

Something like 303 Aerospace Protectant would be great!

Altogether, this would be one great gift :D.

imported_COBRyan
08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
I considered CMW, but figured she may be inclined to use too much, then complain about it being difficult to use. Still an option though! I am definitely getting her the Optimum, and may throw in a liquid or paste as well.

Way2SSlow, yes pink is her favorite color so you are right about the Adam`s!! Good call. Is the Hot Shine the same as Insane Shine?

imported_Sullybob
08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I am using NXT glass cleaner and Stoners IG. I am undecided on which one is better. I get clean and streak free with either one.

Do you want an aerosol or a spray?

imported_Amused
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
I considered CMW, but figured she may be inclined to use too much, then complain about it being difficult to use. Still an option though! I am definitely getting her the Optimum, and may throw in a liquid or paste as well.

GF`s can be trained :D . Plus, if she does accidentally slab on too much CMW, it still comes off with ease.