PDA

View Full Version : Meguairs 42 replacement

imported_pdsterns
08-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Found some old #42 on the shelf and gave it a try on rubber and vinyl and real like it. What is replacement for 42?

imported_pdsterns
08-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Is it really that old that no one remembers the stuff?

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2005, 07:02 AM
I recently finished my bottle. It was good stuff; they used to recommend it for removing wax stains from trim. IIRC, they told me the replacement was Gold Class Trim Detailer, or #38 Gel, neither of which are really similar products. The #42 was more of an Armor All kind of dressing, I would use that or Pb`s BnB or one of the other 100 PDMS dressings out there.

If it`s any consolation, I don`t think the first Meg`s rep I talked to had heard of it, either.

imported_pdsterns
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mike, a google search shows a 3M product that is identical, 3M 39042, and available. Both my Element and CRV have plenty of vinyl to dress and I`ve been searching for the right stuff for awhile. Vinylex streaks badly after rain, Armarol does not do much. I appled it to the door trim and 2 weeks later it still looked very good.

imported_pdsterns
09-09-2005, 06:07 AM
I have fallen in love with Megs #42. I struggled for quite awhile to find something that would be good on all the plastic/composite fenders and trim on the Element. In one washing and dressing of the Element I probably do more plastic than some of you pro`s do in a week. This stuff adds a nice gloss and repells water some what. After several weeks it is not streaked and is still visable. I`m going to order up the 3M 39402 and hope it really is the same product.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2005, 06:30 AM
I can`t find that 3M product at their website. Do you have a link? And do you really think the #42 is all that different from the myriad other PDMS dressings out there?

imported_pdsterns
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Here ya go Mike, I found it with google search.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-69137106204828/mmm138.html

Mike, of all the stuff I tried over the last year and a half I like it the best. Admittedly I did not buy everything I could but I did try 4 or 5 things and this one stands out, I know it`s a big world out there and we always can find something better but everything I tried on the Element textured panels was real disappointing, most washed off or streaked badly after a rain. I also used it on the CRV which has smooth vinyl bumpers and it really holds up well. I thought Vinylex and Armoral just looked good for a very short period of time.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2005, 10:16 AM
That`s a little strange since I searched the 3M website on that number and came up with nothing, as well as just browsing there. Back when I still had some #42 I never had a vehicle that had any large expanses of textured trim, so I never really evaluated the runoff potential. I have kind of given up on using those PDMS products on textured plastic trim, I now prefer AIO/SG or Zaino although there are probably some other LSP`s that would do as well.

imported_pdsterns
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
AIO just makes a mess and stains the element trim. I must be doing something wrong.

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2005, 07:16 AM
It`s hard textured plastic? I only started treating trim that way this year, so I`m no authority. I got EX-P on my textured black trim and couldn`t get it off...finally scrubbed it with A2Z (thanks Bill North!) and then went over it with AIO/SG and it`s looked great since...and a couple weeks ago did the same thing on my friend`s car where she had some NXT or something similar. Perhaps if the trim is clean you could just use SG? I guess I`m going OT, but someone just posted about the Sonus Trim and Motor Kote, which looked really nice on a black bumper.

imported_pdsterns
09-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Honest, I am not selling the stuff but I took a ride to Atlantic city yesterday and caught a lot of moths and bugs while riding thru the pine barrens. This morning I went out to clean up the nose and found that anything on the vinyl ie the parts dressed with #42 would brush right off. It is slippery enough that stuff does not stick to it.

imported_pdsterns
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Update on #42. I was away for 5 weeks and the wife did not wash the car, as told. When I got home the Vinyl on the front of the CRV looked pretty grey and dirty. I washed the car up and the vinyl looked great, just like when I put the #42 on it. I`m going to order up some of the 3M 39042 stuff which is supposed to be identical.