PDA

View Full Version : Bub Abraham`s Certification artice.

Pages : [1] 2

detailbarn
08-23-2005, 07:09 PM
For those who have a subscription to Professional Carwashing & Detailing, what is your opinion on the article in the September issue titled "Is it time for certification?" Written by Bud Abraham.

Super
08-23-2005, 11:09 PM
NO don`t need certification! Who’s going to govern it anyway? I like it the way it is friends telling friends about good detailers. I sure in the hell don`t want any more gov. laws looking out for me or looking over my shoulder.

mxblue23
08-24-2005, 01:57 AM
I`m not a pro by any stretch but this doesn`t seem like a biz that needs any type of certification or regulation. There are no safety issues like with a mechanic, no engines to blow up like tuners, etc. If you do good work word will get around, if you suck you won`t be getting much business, simple as that.

truckerbaer
08-24-2005, 02:56 AM
There are no safety issues like with a mechanic, no engines to blow up like tuners, etc.

I`m not trying to pick on you, but there are safety issues in this business. What about the noise from a buffer, a generator, a gas powered pressure washer. You could fall off a ladder while buffing an RV or Semi-truck, and some products can be harmful to you. So there are safety issue in this business.

mxblue23
08-24-2005, 03:03 AM
I`m not trying to pick on you, but there are safety issues in this business. What about the noise from a buffer, a generator, a gas powered pressure washer. You could fall off a ladder while buffing an RV or Semi-truck, and some products can be harmful to you. So there are safety issue in this business.

I know there are for the detailer himself, but I meant in regard to the customer. Get a lame mechanic and you could have brake failure, wheels falling off, etc. Pretty hard for a detailer to make a car any more unsafe than it was when you got your hands on it.

As for the detailer safety, if your not concerned enough to know the proper way to handle chemicals and operate the machinery when it`s your *** on the line, then it`s natural selection hard at work.

kompressornsc
08-24-2005, 03:45 AM
I haven`t read the article, but here`s what happened my my industry about 10 years ago with certification...

An industry organization started offering two levels of certification (CAS, MAS). It`s BS. Pay your money attend a couple of hours of classes and get your certification. Becasue of my level of sales, I actually qualify to *buy* my certification-no classes required (about $2,000). It`s all about the money. It can be a huge profit center for an organization if it catches on-classes, continuing education, etc. In my industry, it doesn`t mean squat. The majority of top producers in my industry are not certified-the wannabes are. I have a competitor right now that is touting her `MAS` to everyone she meets-she`s been in the business less than 90 days, probably won`t do 1/10th the sales I will, but hey, she`s `certified`.

I`m not saying that all certification is bad, but there is a slippery slope-it becomes about the certifying agency collecting money rather than assuring quality.

mxblue23
08-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Kompressor... curious exactly what industry is that?

kompressornsc
08-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Kompressor... curious exactly what industry is that?

I`m a pimp.

No, actually, Promotional Marketing. :)

Superior Shine
08-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Let the cliental cert. us with their dollars.

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2005, 07:12 AM
It doesn`t sound like any of you have read the article (nor have I), so you are just speculating as to the content. I agree with Kompressor that some "certifications" are just a way for people to feel good about themselves, and impress their bosses and (hopefully) get a raise. There is an organization that was running a course for a half-day on Saturday for 8 or 12 weeks and at the end you got a "Certified ***** Engineer" diploma....those poor saps going to engineering school for 4 years to become an engineer!

Anyway, more on topic, I can see from the customer`s viewpoint some valid reasons for using a "certified" detailer, who might know that some scratches can`t be polished out because it will reduce the clearcoat thickness and compromise the paint job....but hey, this is the real world, where most people just want the car detailed before they bring it back after their 3-year lease (during which it`s never been washed..."hey, it`s only leased!").

Now I`ll butt out of this and let the pros who have read the article talk about it.

jerry@robs
08-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Message deleted by author.

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Here`s a copy of Mr. Abraham`s article, `Is it time for certification?` from the September 2005 edition of Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine.

http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6635573

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-25-2005, 04:52 AM
detailbarn,

What is your opinion of the article and the subject of certification?

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-25-2005, 04:53 AM
detailbarn,

What is your opinion of the article and the subject of certification?

Anthony O.
08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Well as already expressed certification has its ups and downs. Those offering the certification see the "ups" and those the certification is aimed at usually see the "downs" :D

Mr. Abraham and I have butted heads over this issue and many others and we have also agreed on many issues and Mr. Abraham is a nice guy who really loves detailing and the aspects of detailing and he also dresses well!

Bud, and many others like Ron Ketcham with ValuGard, see certification as a way to place standards within the detailing industry, such as prices, technique, correct diagnoses of paint problems, meeting EPA standards, etc. This is the GOOD aspect of being certified as one, seeking to call themselves a "pro" would be recognized by the public as having the proper insurance, training, etc. to properly detail their cars. So while detailers may not be mechanics there is a HUGE safety prioroty within detailing that is either overlooked by most detailers or just not known period. Like working with hydroflouric acids, what speeds to run the rotary at, using improper dressings on seats and pedals, etc.

So Bud is seeking to close shop on all the hacks out there and give credit to, or perhaps better would be to "legitimize" those detailers seeking to be called Profesional. We wouldn`t want to go to a doctor who is working out of his garage with out dated tools and his last medical book he read was a Readers Digest "condensed" version :eek: We would want a doctor who is certified, has gone to school for proper training in all aspects of his or her chosen field of medicine. This is how Bud and many others in the industry would like auto detailing to be seen as and perhaps modeled after.

This though will never happen unless, IMHO, insurance companies become involved in some manner AND the next reason is that there are far too many "garage" type detailers out there. Kids going through college seeking some extra bucks or kids doing it for summer work will always be doing it because it is easy to get into and the only way to stop it, or at least thin the ranks, would be to make it illegal to operate such a business without the proper license. Doctors spend years in school to learn about the human body and medicine but this is because they are dealing with human lives. Detailers feel they are qualified because they have done their own car for years and never made a mistake so why not offer that service to others, it`s just a car right, not a human life? Insurance companies make huge profits because people NEED doctors. People don`t NEED detailers for their cars so you will never see insurance companies paying detailers to detail their clients cars. Detailers, like a house maid, are a privelage and not a necessity.

When insurance companies and perhaps car dealers see the advantage of having cars cleaned and detailed on a regular basis they may offer programs where "certified" detailers can make some money but until that time you will never get a mandatory certification plan into action because there is nothing in it for the detailer. Besides that, there are some GREAT "garage" type detailers out there who have more than enough business and having a "certificate" nailed to a wall will not make them nor break them.

My long winded opinion...

Anthony