PDA

View Full Version : Yes! Racedeck on it`s way......!

Pages : [1] 2

CLK_Ivan
08-23-2005, 02:58 PM
After a few weeks of going back and forth over garage floor coverings, I finally just broke down and ordered racedeck today :woot: As my wife can tell you, the garage is my favorite "room" in the house.

I`d originally painted it with rustoloeum epoxy a few years ago and it`s lifted under the tires and a few other places. At first I was going to just repaint, but wasn`t sure it`d be any more durable since I`d be painting over the existing rustoeum epoxy. I then bought VCT tiles and realized that they couldn`t properly adhere to the existing paint. It was also going to be alot of work (for me). Finally I decided to go with racedeck tiles that I`ve always wanted anyway. I`ll post pics after the install if anyone`s interested. Also any install tips would be appreciated.

zippymbr
08-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Welcome, and congrats. I dream of one day putting racedeck in my garage. But at 850 square feet that is only a dream for me. I look forward to the pics.

ky-mike
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Have a pair of gloves and a rubber mallet for use when installing the tiles. The tiles lock together, but can use some help from the mallet. Gloves will protect your hands from the sometimes sharp plastic edges. Also, a set of knee pads or a pad to kneel on would have saved me a lot of discomfort.

Read the instructions first. Start from your straightest wall and work from there. I didn`t and if you look hard you can see that it is not perfectly aligned with the garage opening.

Measure twice, cut once. I ruined one piece of tile by not ensuring that it was oriented properly before trimming it to fit around a corner. The tiles cut easily with a jigsaw. I used a silver sharpie marker and a straight-edge to mark mine for cuts. For complex cuts, I used a 12" by 12" piece of cardboard cut from one of the shipping boxes to make a template prior to cutting. This saves a lot of trial and error when cutting the tile. If you mess up the cardboard, get another scrap piece and start over.

If you are following a pattern with different colors, lay out one row at a time before you attach the tiles. This way you don`t have to think about the next color - just snap together.

GTScott
08-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Congrats...my racedeck has been sitting in the basement awaiting cooler weather for an install. be sure to post your results!

-GT

KiRiMa
08-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Uhm...not to be impatient,but,dying to see the pix!!! I`m in the process of house hunting and have already made plans for my garage(besides putting a frig and bed in there..heehee.)

ky-mike
08-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I ordered mine from the MFG in Salt Lake City and it took 10 days to arrive in Louisville. I still need to get a better pic, but the lighting in my garage is poor. I need to get out early in the morning when I have the sun shining into the garage to get a good pic. I`ll get that done eventually.

CLK_Ivan
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Still waiting for delivery. I did get a rubber mallet, gloves and knee pads though........I`m not expecting delivery until the end of the week at the earliest.

GP Infinity
08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I would like to know your experience and others with this product.. I am considering it, as well as, kiwitile and motormat. The price is all over the place, and one has to take shipping into account. There is a dealer just a couple of hours away from me in NY, so I am hopeful that I can get a great price on it, or the other stuff too. In fact, the motormat folks have a new product called Daytona, but I need something that will drain with our winters, plus I like to wash the vehicles in the garage as well, summer and winter.

Let me know...

Dana

GTScott
08-31-2005, 12:07 PM
You have inspired me. I think I will start putting mine in over the long weekend. I will update the pictures here once the Race Deck is in:

http://www.imagemotorworks.com/scott/garage/

-GT

medic
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
You have inspired me. I think I will start putting mine in over the long weekend. I will update the pictures here once the Race Deck is in:

-GT

Looking good so far. We get our garage, er...home in about 6-8 more months...it`s already killing me. I`d really like to finish off my garage to make it less sterile white.

One question on the railing...if you used construction adhesive, why do you need to fill and sand any holes...doesn`t seem like you`d have drilled or nailed anything to the wall

GP Infinity
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM

-GT

GT

I think it looks good.. I have painted mine blue and am finalizing my pick of floor coverings, RaceDeck, kiwitile, or motormat.

Did you get samples of all of these and go with RaceDeck?

I do agree with your summation of why not to go with epoxy paint.. too many variables to get right only to have it chip or flake or bubble... and then if it goes wrong it looks bad and you have to redo it.. then the amount of time that you have to wait to put stuff back on it. I was also surprised that you really have to do it all at one time or there will be an obvious line where the two paint areas meet.

Dana

GTScott
09-01-2005, 05:51 AM
Looking good so far. We get our garage, er...home in about 6-8 more months...it`s already killing me. I`d really like to finish off my garage to make it less sterile white.

One question on the railing...if you used construction adhesive, why do you need to fill and sand any holes...doesn`t seem like you`d have drilled or nailed anything to the wall

I used construction adhesive to reduce any bowing or warping that might occur. The adhesive probably would hold it to the wall by itself. However, I used some narrow brads on each stud as well. Those are the holes I need to fill.

I went through samples of everything available and even took the time to go out and talk to people who had each floor system. From what I gathered I learned that no system was perfect but some were better than others. I got a GREAT deal on the Race Deck so that also swayed my opinion a bit.

-GT

CLK_Ivan
09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok guys it`s in :woohoo: It took me about 2 1/2 hours to install 525 sq ft with the exception of the trimming. I`ll get to that tomorrow. I`ll have some more pics after the finish work.

For those who are contemplating doing this, it`s a VERY easy install and looks great (IMO). A few neighbors came by as I was finishing up and LOVED it. My wife even thinks it looks great. She said it really looks like a room now. Here is a before and after pic.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Garage_before1.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Garage_after.jpg

Cork
09-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Let me know how you keep the white ones clean. I did the same in my garage and the white tile always look dirty.

buellwinkle
09-01-2005, 09:51 PM
My neighbor did the black and white and he mops it weekly to keep the white clean, to me it`s not worth it, I would probably get black and silver.