PDA

View Full Version : Got some old Collinite at Advanced Auto / VOC victim list?

n2_space
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I finally picked up a bottle of Collinite 845 IW at Advanced Auto a week ago. I did a search and read a thread that said they had reformulated it for VOC compliance. Someone mentioned it says "paste" on the newer bottles, and the older ones do not. I went back and found they again had 2 bottles on the shelf, one of the old (which was there when I bought my first bottle), and one of the newer bottles. I bought the other old bottle to keep in my stash, so if you are looking for some of the old version AA might have it.

My second point is, has anyone made a list of the products that have either dissappeared (ie #16) or are reformulated for VOC compliance? I`m rather curious....

Quickstrike
08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Has anyone used the new Collinite and actually proven that it doesn`t last as long?

Maybe I should be on the look-out for some older bottles as well.. if that is the case.

atticdog
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
would changeing a solvent make it not last as long?

chml17l
08-23-2005, 03:01 PM

That`s been the big fear, although there haven`t been any facts offered up by anyone who`s used the pre-VOC vs. the post-VOC IW. Just lots of speculation. My speculation is that switching out non-VOC compliant solvents in IW would proabably mainly affect the cost of the product itself and not really impact the longevity of the wax as much.

The solvents are there just to liquify and carry the carnauba and polymer, but I`m no wax chemist. There could be a negative impact if a switch in solvents affects the evaporation rate and therefore the setup, if you will, of the final wax layer. I`m sure there are other subtle details that only Collinite knows for sure.

atticdog
08-23-2005, 03:30 PM
n2_space check your pm`s

EdLancer
08-23-2005, 04:10 PM
What does the old formulation smells like ?

The new stuff smells like paint thinner or kerosene which means it is mineral spirits based solvent.

n2_space
08-23-2005, 07:25 PM
What does the old formulation smells like ?

The new stuff smells like paint thinner or kerosene which means it is mineral spirits based solvent.

I`ll take a whiff later to see, but my sense of smell is not that keen :o

n2_space
08-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Do a search, I would except I am about to get off of here, I know there was a thread on it where someone called collinite and they said their tests surprised them and it worked jsut as well :think:

Scottwax
08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
No local Advanced Autos in the Dallas area, guess I will have to order some and see how it is.

n2_space
08-24-2005, 06:24 AM
One thing I neglected to mention was that the Collinite is in the back with boating supplies, not with the normal car detailing supplies ;)

wannafbody
08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
some put it on the counter near the checkout registers