PDA

View Full Version : VOC laws claiming another?

SpoiledMan
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/product.asp?ItemID=men-fmj

According to Sports Car Care, they can`t, at this time, ship FMJ to California. Good thing I have all I will need for a long time!

SpoiledMan
08-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Hmm, looking at Proper Auto Care, they show it as being VOC compliant?? Well, until you scroll down and see that as of 7/2 they wont ship to CA because it isn`t compliant!:hairpull

http://www.properautocare.com/menzernafmj.html

foxtrapper
08-24-2005, 08:34 AM
don quixote,

If you would have read that fully, you`d have seen that it`s a temporary problem due to testing inconsistencies. The product pass VOC standards in the opinion of the manufacturer.

SpoiledMan
08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Wow, go back and read again...

California Customers: 7/02/05 This product may not meet California`s Air Resources Board, Consumer Products Regulations which limits the amount of active ingredients (VOC`s) that can be in a specific product. We`re sorry but we can not ship this product into California at this time.

imported_DARKSTI
08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
thank god, right now FMJ is my favorite sealant.

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Spoiledman, the SportsCarCare site does imply that there is some testing anomaly, while CMA is a little more pessimistic, saying it MAY not meet. It sounds to me like they may have gotten their VOC compliant mix a little wrong and put in 16% instead of 15% or something...I guess what I`m saying is, it doesn`t sound like there won`t be a VOC compliant version, just that they are haggling a bit about it.

SpoiledMan
08-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah well.... My point is that if I wanted to order some right now I can`t. It *may* be compliant and it *may* not. Will the formula change and therefore the product?

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
As someone said in that Collinite thread, I think it was chml17l, the solvent changes required by the VOC laws don`t have to be a huge deal. It may mean changing to a more expensive solvent that is not regulated. I`m not saying that it might not suck after reformulation, I`m saying that being reformulated to meet VOC regs doesn`t in and of itself mean that the product has to suck. It may be a little different, dry a little faster or slower, etc. The laws are about reducing environmental levels of specific compounds, not ALL compounds, so different solvents can be substituted. One of the Chem E`s can address this a little more precisely.

SpoiledMan
08-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Setec, you get my PM?