PDA

View Full Version : Ok, major machine help needed

hrprem
08-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Gday,

I recently shopped around in australia for a PC equiv...well a good auto use random orbital. The aus guys here love the PC with transformer or Hitachi fsv13y. Money says hitachi would be the way to go, so I checked it out. With it is a few other suspects I played with and found the makita B05021 to be the lightest and most comfortable to use. It`s a little dearer then the hitachi but thought the ease of use would pay for itself. So I picked one up today, and came to autopia to find out if the backing plate would be good enough or if a sonus plate would fit. So after a couple of hours of plate and pad research, no backing pads will just work (altough the three screw pattern it uses is echo`d in rivets on some), I discover my random orbital has an `orbit diameter` of 1.5mm. The rev range has some people scratching their heads too.

So here`s the deal. I have this makita (http://www.makita.com.au/catalogue/dsptool.php?tmodel=BO5021) . Its 260 watts, 1.4kg(3.1lbs) has a 5" hook and loop pad and a 1.5mm orbit diameter ($179). The PC obviously differes greatly from this, and so do the others I`m leaning towards if I have to replace it. The Hitachi has a 5mm `orbit` according to this site (http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au/tools/Sander-menu.htm) and is only a little heavier, but is also cheaper. The last one is this bosch (http://www.justtools.com.au/prod2359.htm), 5mm orbit, which is currently on sale for $99. I`ve only been able to see the 400 watt version of the bosch and it seems bulky, so this one seems more appropriate.

Now the advice I`m after is how does the orbit affect the polishing/application I`ll be using it for? The makita is quiet, and smooth down low, and comfortable to hold....but will it be any good? And pad wise, are the others easier to change backing plates, or will their standard ones be good enough? I really like the look of the Sonus DAS kit here at autopia, but I`ll wait to see if its viable.

Sorry for the long rant, I`m just confused and kinda stuck. If I could just pounce on a PC and transformer I would believe me, but its just not financially viable. I`m thinking of trying out the machine side, building up a nice product base and seeing if I can gather some paid work, if so then it will be a sound investment. Until then my car has swirls and oxidization that shames me!

Hemi57
08-23-2005, 02:31 PM
hrprem, I can only assume that you have read the thread I started a week or so back about my first Orbital experience? There is another thread which I use for good reference called "Australian Random Buffer Question" which considers what products we have easily available locally.

I too considered the Bosch but was concerned about the high RPM specs so settled with the Hitachi based on other Aussie`s experience and recommendations.

I am too inexperienced yet to provide advice on the questions you raised. Good luck.

hrprem
08-24-2005, 10:07 AM
I`ve definitly checked out those threads dude, theyve been a big help!

The orbit diameter is the only thing of concern at the moment, as its obvious the revs cannot be counted as such. If movement is just a matter of coverage, then surely a larger 6" pad would negate the fact, but if the orbit `jitter` adds a massaging effect then maybe there will be a noticable difference.

Theres also the definite possibility I`ve totally and wrongly over analysed this whole thing :lol :lol

I`ve made a big order at autopia carcare and hope to be testing it all out soon! Expect pics too!