PDA

View Full Version : First engine detail

blackmillenia
08-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I am doing my first paid detail on a 98 F-150. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing these engines. Do I need to cover anything? I was just going to mist the engine and use Gunk for the degreaser, then just rinse off with the garden hose. Then dress with Armour All. Does this sound good? Thanks in advance!

boxcartommie22
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
i use gunk also but i use half water and half vinylx by lexol...you can get this at pep boys

imported_GregCavi
08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I have had no troubles detailing this engines. Just keep the water flow to a minimum. Stay away from anything to electrical looking and try to stay away from the alternator or any filters. ITs pretty hard to screw up a ford engine so dont worry. I like to use APC diluted to the proper ratio to clean the engine and then follow with a meguiars brush and car wash shampoo.

Greg

guy1138
08-23-2005, 01:40 AM
ITs pretty hard to screw up a ford engine

You mean it`s pretty hard to screw them up MORE than Ford already did, right? :lol

If it is the 4.6 or 5.4 litre V8, then it is pretty resistant to water. I did the 4.6L in my wife`s 97 T-bird, the only thing I was concerned about was watter sitting in the spark plug bays. The plugs rest down in a little well in the valve valve covers, so the water will pool there no matter how little water you spray, and you really don`t want water pooled up around electronics. I used a rag and simply soaked most of it up out of the area.

Here`s a pic. I could have done more, but was running out of daylight.

http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cleanengine9fb.jpg