PDA

View Full Version : Help With Carbon Black Bmw

david g
08-22-2005, 05:42 AM
ive just purchased a carbon black bmw 5 series with dealer swirls that came free of charge ,ive tired taking them out but ive been left with some buffer marks.

i used SSR 2.5 followed by SSR1 and poorboys professional blue ,but then it rained and i was unable to use EXP or nattys blue

What do you suggest to get the buffer marks out or would i be better off letting someone from this site detail the car back to showroom condition?

JasonD
08-22-2005, 05:56 AM
It still doesn`t look good after polishing? You have the perfect products, what was your process? By hand? PC? Sure, you could pay someone to do this, but since it`s a black car and you obviously care about how it looks or you wouldn`t be here right now, I think you would prefer to learn how to do it yourself so you can keep it up, no? Just be patient and we`ll get you on the right track. No worries. :bigups

david g
08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
My process was as follows

1 wash with poorboys slick and suds

2 clay with meguiars quick detailer

3 SSR 2.5 on speed 4

4 SSR 1 on speed 4

5 poorboys professional polish by hand

it then rained and the car looked great but this morning the sun came out and there are buffer marks all ove :wall r

Alex Creasey
08-22-2005, 06:37 AM
David,

Turn the PC up to speed 5 for the SSR 2.5, even up to speed 6 if a heavier mark or scratch. Also depends what kind of pad your using? *I`ve* never needed more than a polishing pad with 2.5 and never get buffer marks, you do need a bit of speed through the polisher though to get the pad moving fast enough to break the abrasives down.

Also how long have you been working each section? Say a 1/3rd of a panel or 1/4 of the bonnet. You`ll need to give the product a bit of time to break down and polish out which should ultimately leave you with no buffer marks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

JasonD
08-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Alex is dead on with his suggestions. You need to remember that you are *working* the product, not *applying* it. You should be working each section (roughly 2ft x 2ft) on speed 5, moving around 1/2 to 1 inch per second (yes, a snail`s pace), and with enough product to work that area for a minute or two before it starts to dry up. Once the polish starts to dust and/or starts to disappear, then remove any excess that`s left over.

If you don`t work it this way, you`ll never remove anything. With a finish like you are describing, I would use SSR2.5 with a cutting pad first, then follow with another SSR2.5 pass but this time with a polishing pad, and finally SSR1 with a polishing pad. Once you get to the PP, I`d either use a very light polishing pad or finishing pad on speed 5 working it the very same way as the other polishes.

All together, that`s four full polishing passes on your car so this is going to take a while. You have to be patient through this process since it`s the absolute most important steps of the detail.

Hope this helps.

imported_pugoman
08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
David, where are you based in the UK?

david g
08-23-2005, 12:31 AM
BLANTYRE near GLASGOW

Sebony
08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Once yours is ok I will bring you my CB M3! ;)