PDA

View Full Version : Mothers 3 step system application technique?

Kool_ZX3
08-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Well i was wondering how much pressure should be used with the first 2 products and should it be done side to side or in a circular fashion and how much time should be spent in one area? So can make sure i am doing it right :clap:

papi_jay
08-21-2005, 06:53 PM
It works really good by machine , but I guess you`re doing it by hand ?

You want to do it in lines , not circles and wipe the stage #1 cleaner off with a 50/50 mix of 90% alchohol and water and a damp microfiber towel .

Then stage #2 same way , but only wipe off the excess with a dry MF towel ( different one ) or some light sprays of quick detailer to help remove it .

Only do one panel at a time before removing it though or it`ll dry . Half panels if in the sun .

Step 3 apply with a foam wax applicator and remove with a clean dry MF , and use QD if needed .

How much time spent is only and issue if youre using a machine , in that case keep it moving .

By hand as long as you want

Kool_ZX3
08-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Is the alchohol and water really needed? I took it off with a dry MF and seemed to come off just fine.

lbls1
08-21-2005, 07:15 PM
You won`t need the alchohol/water mixture. Step 1 will apply and remove just fine (I am a veteren of this system).

This is a good comprehensive system that will bring decent results to clearcoat paint in very good condition.

I encourage you, once you`ve become accustomed to this three step system, to try other polish and wax products. The Mother`s system will provide a sound foundation in terms of getting started in detailing your car.

Edit: You should not use any excessive pressure with this system. This is basically a wipe-on/wipe off type of cleaner-polish-wax package. You can do more than one application of each step if you feel its necessary (with good paint, you will only require one round of each). Use the hand motion that feels the most natural and comfortable to you (although the linear hand motion is preferable in order to minimize visible streaks). Dirty, contaminated towels are more to blame for streaks and marring.

Kool_ZX3
08-21-2005, 07:52 PM
I used more pressure then i would when waxing but i didn`t force it with all my might either, i just used moderate (in between scrubbin with all my might and puttin on wax) pressure and went back and fourth like crazy, felt like my arm was going to come off, I scrubbed good back and fourth. I did the same pressure and technique for both the step 1 and 2 and the wax i just went nice and easy. I used a terry applicator for the step 1 and then foam ones for step 2 and 3.

lbls1
08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
You will do better by using two towels to remove each step. The first towel will rough up the haze. Then the second will take off the remaining haze, leaving a streak free shine. Both turns with the towels should be done with no pressure. This had worked well for me with that system, and continues to work well for me today.

Excessive pressure will just lead to streak marks and swirling.

Kool_ZX3
08-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Well i never got any streaking or went back and fourth so no chance or swirling, it all came off nice and easy to, just a breeze. wiped once and it was all gone :2thumbs:

papi_jay
08-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I like wiping with alchohol and water because the cleaner has chemicals in it . Dont want to leave those on the paint during the polish

lbls1
08-21-2005, 09:32 PM
The polish and the carnauba wax (Mother`s has a weak carnauba mix) will contain chemical ingredients. You wouldn`t put alchohol on top of those. I could see alchohol/water perhaps as a lubricant to ease the buffing of the cleaner, but it isn`t necessary if you take your time in buffing off the haze. The haze buffs off to a clear, residue free shine. The alchie water mix will strip some wax, of course, which is what you want in the first step; Since the cleaner is supposed to do this (all of the wax), then it isn`t a required step with this system.

Alfisti
08-22-2005, 02:08 AM
As has been mentioned, the pre-wax cleaner is quite mild as its meant to be safe in any consumers hands. It`ll only provide moderate cleaning. How bad is your paint? If its oxidised you`ll need something much stronger.

The Sealer and Glaze is very good and easy to use. Also its the only glaze that can be applied over a wax and bond without removing it.

As far as the carnauba step goes, the CG Carnauba is a balanced looking LSP with only moderate durability. When you`ve used it up I`d recommend replacing that step with the Reflections Top Coat. It looks amazing and has good durability.

Or just replace the S&G/Carnauba steps with the Reflections duo. Thats a combo that can equal most higher priced products.