PDA

View Full Version : Safe to give new car Full Zaino treatment?

Pages : [1] 2

impulsebrklyn
08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
My new 330i is on its way from germany. I expect to have it around the 1st of Sept. The car was painted in or around the 9th of August. Is it safe to give the full zaino treatement when i get it? Should I wait? Thanks Chris

imported_Picus
08-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Nope, you`re good. Have fun!

Intercooled
08-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Factory paint is different from a repaint or custom paint. Factory paint is put through an oven or baked on insuring that it is cured. I`d say your good to go!

chml17l
08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Be sure to check for any dealer prep swirls before you seal them in w/ the Zaino.

Intercooled
08-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I would ask the dealer not to prep the car ans have them write it down on your paper work for delivery. I did with my new H2.

jimmybuffit
08-21-2005, 06:38 PM
The paint is cured.

The Dealer will probably harm the paint, in on way or another, so follow the previous advice.

Don`t let them touch it.

Perspective: Their sophisticated Showroom is unrelated to the $8/hour employee who is preparing YOUR car. They will scratch the paint. Period.

One of the biggest recurring themes on this Board is about lousy Dealer detailing.

I can`t stress the importance of thiis area!!!

So, you think Zaino is the way to go? Hmm?

Have you looked around?

Jim

ZaneO
08-21-2005, 06:43 PM

Have you looked around?

Jim

Is it not okay for him to use the product of his choice?

Just because *you* don`t care for it, doesn`t mean it`s the same for *him*.

:)

stilez
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
The paint is cured.

The Dealer will probably harm the paint, in on way or another, so follow the previous advice.

Don`t let them touch it.

Perspective: Their sophisticated Showroom is unrelated to the $8/hour employee who is preparing YOUR car. They will scratch the paint. Period.

One of the biggest recurring themes on this Board is about lousy Dealer detailing.

I can`t stress the importance of thiis area!!!

Have you looked around?

Jim

I dead on agree.

Zaino is an excellent sealant, but I agree, take a look around. Something might suit you better.

Kenney
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
I am pretty sure that the paint on all new cars is fully cured from the factory. I would think that the white plastic sheets that they put on the hood, bumpers, and roof during delivery would prevent the paint from curing if it wasnt fully cured.

If you have a mettalic paint color for the bimmer, then you will love Zaino!

Also, congrats on the car.

jimmybuffit
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Is it not okay for him to use the product of his choice?

Well, sure it is okay.

I will not get into a Zaino discussion.

But, there really are other options, and perhaps, they have not been researched fully.

We all know that some Boards tend to favor some brands to an extreme, and I happen to think that Zaino is in that catagory, particularly on BMW and Corvette forums.

Oh, it is a fine, albeit expensive, line of products.

Just me.

Jim

ZaneO
08-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Don`t care for a "Zaino discussion," that wasn`t the point, but I figure if he`s made his way to Autopia, he`s probably well aware of the fact that there are tons of great products out there.

He never asked for product recommendations/critiques...I don`t see a reason to question it for him.

:)

impulsebrklyn
08-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Been using Zaino for over 2 years now I have no complaints. So i dont want them to detail it but I do want them to remove the protective film/stickers? I want to be able to examine the car I will not accept any major scratches!!! If they dont clean it how dirty is it gonna be when I get it, I want to be able to examine it closely??

Chris

papi_jay
08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Better to be dirty and you can follow thru wih a claying and/or decontamination kit than to have to polish out their swirls , marrs and holograms imho .

Don`t believe 100% that because it`s a BMW the dealer`s body shop guys/detailers are all the more knowledgeable of proper technique

imported_Picus
08-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Nope. Both Infiniti and Audi have introduced swirls into new paint when I got cars from them. Just have them remove the stickers, but no cleaning. It will be dirty and you will need to wash/clay it, but that way you may not need to use a compound, you can just move right to your sealant.

rollman
08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Factory paint is different from a repaint or custom paint. Factory paint is put through an oven or baked on insuring that it is cured. I`d say your good to go!

Unless something happens at the port when they bring it in and they repaint it . :wall Man does it sux when something like that happens.

Have you looked around?

Jim

Ditto on that , there may be another combo of products that shows your paint off nicer. Search through some threads in Click & Brag to get some ideas . :buffing: Good luck with your new Bimmer.