PDA

View Full Version : 8 Hour Detail

rockyram
08-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Deciced to do my first detail on my truck with my PC and Poorboys.The paint had swirls and some scratches.BTW it is black.The vehicle is a 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with a canopy.Here is what I did.

-wash with Dawn

-dry

-clay with Mothers system

-polish with SSR2.5 and orange LC pad on speed 3 increasing to 5

-polish with SSR1 and white LC pad on speed 3 increasing to 5

-waxed complete vehicle with NXT by hand application

-waxed complete vehicle with Meg`s #16 by hand

This whole process took me 8 hours!The truck looks a lot better.Does 8 hours seem right or am I slow?Also I found it took quite a while for the SSR2.5 to start to dust.The SSR1 dusted real quick,faster than I had hoped and was a pain wiping off the residue sometimes.About 95% of the swirls are gone but there are still some scratches.I think I will try DACP and #80 next time.The NXT was a breeze to take off,I waxed the whole truck then took it off.#16 was`nt that bad either.Is there something I can do to speed this up?

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I think that sounds about right for all that work, particularly the first time.

Scottwax
08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
What Mike said. BTW, any pics?

rockyram
08-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Sorry,I don`t have a digital camera.I should have borrowed one.Next time.So that`s par for the course,I did`nt even touch the interior.

imported_Picus
08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Yep, I did the same thing Friday - took me 8 or so hours too. I guess this just means it will take us half the time next time, right? :D

rockyram
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Yah,let`s hope so!I also when cleaning my pads,let them sit in a bucket of Dawn with warm water for 30 minutes then switch to a bucket of clean water to rinse.I can`t get rid of the pink color dye from the SSR1 polish.Is this normal?What if I want to use a different product with that pad?