PDA

View Full Version : Bought PC - Need Pads

hitsolid
08-20-2005, 08:56 AM
I just ordered a PC from Coastal Tool. I intend to buys pads from Exceldetail. What would be a good set of Propel pads to intially order? Thanks to the many folks here who provide their learned advice.

JasonD
08-20-2005, 09:14 AM
I`d go with whatever full kit he has available. You`re going to need at *least* one of each to get started, and vendors usually always give a better deal when buying in kit form.

hitsolid
08-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks Jason - Kits all come with a Backing plate, which is provided with the pc from Coastal Tool. Do you recommend getting two of the blue pads? I have done a bit of searching and this seems to be the pad used most often for the majority of applications.

JeffM
08-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I would get 2, at least, polishing pads.

Is that blue, i dunno....

ya , and you need a velcro backing plate. I prefer the 6" one, although lots of people like the 5" one.

What polishes do you plan on using with the pads?

JasonD
08-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jason - Kits all come with a Backing plate, which is provided with the pc from Coastal Tool. Do you recommend getting two of the blue pads? I have done a bit of searching and this seems to be the pad used most often for the majority of applications.

What pads you use will change from detail to detail depending on how much work is necessary and how many various stages you break it up to. In other words, some details will only require a quick paint cleaning before application of one LSP, so in this case, you would only need two pads, one polishing and one finishing. On the other hand, you may have a situation where a car is *really* bad and requires multiple levels of polishing, starting off with a cutting combo, then moving to two levels of polishing combos (2 polishing pads), then a glaze and/or paint cleaner (2 finishing pads), and finally one or more protectants (at least one more finishing pad).

So you see, depeding on the detail, you could use anywhere from one finishing pad, to a host of various different grade pads.

Now, taking all of this into consideration, I`d say that it would be *safe* for a beginner to buy one cutting pad, two of each polishing pad, and two finishing pads. This should be more than enough for doing your own personal cars.

hitsolid
08-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, it has been mentioned before and I would like to add that this is an outstanding site, with knowledgeable and generous members.

JBM – I have two bottles of Meguires #9, one bottle of #7, and two bottles of Gold Class wax. I have clay and lubricant.

JDookie – that is the set I will order. I’ll also pick up an orange Propel pad in case multiple passes with a blue pad come up lacking.

I will be working on two VW’s: 2000 Passat (White), 1989 GTI (Re-sprayed red, w/ cc). Both have a great deal of fine swirls from drive through washes. Would you recommend SSR 2.5 for initial passes? Any suggestions that may help the effort are appreciated.

imported_Picus
08-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I just did something similar. Try SSR2.5 on a polishing pad first and go *really* slow. Try 2 or three passes on a small area and if it works go from there. If not, try the cutting pad. I was all out of my mind with cutting pads and SSR3 until JDookie told me to slow down and what do you know, SSR2.5 did the job on a cutting pad. Patience really pays off.

One tip I have for you is to start slow and once the product is worked in move up to speed 5ish. 6 just makes it dust too quick. And even more importantly, clean your pads a lot. When they get caked they don`t work as well and you just end up pushing the product around a lot instead of breaking it down. Good luck!