PDA

View Full Version : Overspray on Windows...can`t get off/help!

mc01ta
08-19-2005, 08:20 AM
So a shop who I never want to do business with ever again touched up a few spots on my car but I noticed there is overspray clear on the back window, windshield, on my mirrors and on a few spots on my paint. I tried to clay this off but to no avail. Does anybody have any recommendation to getting clear off windows and if I find any - on the paint? I would really appreciate the help as my beautiful black trans am has been messed with!

SpoiledMan
08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Have you tried plastic razors to remove them? They do pretty good on windows for removing things that have bonded in one way or another.

mc01ta
08-19-2005, 09:25 AM
plastic razors? I tried using a mild clay (basic mothers) and it didn`t seem to do much. Any further recommendations? I looked at the meguiars website and they have a stronger clay for $25.00 but I`d hate to go that route if we can have a cheaper alternative.

Lou K
08-19-2005, 09:48 AM
plastic razors? I tried using a mild clay (basic mothers) and it didn`t seem to do much. Any further recommendations? I looked at the meguiars website and they have a stronger clay for $25.00 but I`d hate to go that route if we can have a cheaper alternative.

I have used bronze wool to remove overspray on glass. It will not scratch or leave the particles that steel wool does that will create rust spots as soon as they get wet.

I have been using this for nealy 20 years with great results. You can get it online at www.briwax-online.com. :clap: :clap:

Wasatch
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I would also try the razor idea, and see if there is some kind of solvent you could use (go to a hardware store). This only to be used on windows and/or mirrors.

AMDin93103
08-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Plastic razors should work. They won`t damage your exterior glass, they are plastic. I have used `em to remove stubborn contaminants from just about everything, body paint included. When you move away from the glass just tread lightly. Your local ABS should have them as will some paint supply depots and tons of online retailers.

Does your fingernail work?

mc01ta
08-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Can someone provide me a link to the plastic razors? Thank you for the link on the steel wool, that is a good idea also. How do you go about using it? There is some overspray on the body on a few spots I`m finding, should I clay only? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Black240SX
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
For the glass, I would try again with the clay that you have, but apply more pressure and don`t use too much lubricant. Or you could try your strongest polish. I don`t think there is any possibility of damaging the glass as it is much harder than any paint.

For the paint, I`m not sure what to suggest.

03k20a2
08-19-2005, 02:45 PM
i work at a body shop and we use #00 steel wool, works like a charm

Reflections1
08-19-2005, 03:46 PM
carful work with a regular razor blade will work. Spray the glass down with glass cleaner as a lubricant and glide the blade over that starting at the top and working your way down in horizontal motions. Care needs to be taken as to not mar the window but if you pay attention to hold the blade on a 30degree angle and use slight pressure..... you will have perfect windpws again.

JasonD
08-19-2005, 04:44 PM
I`ve just always used regular razors on glass, no big deal.

salty
08-19-2005, 06:18 PM

I too use regular blades on glass everyday. As long as it is not used with a cutting motion, it will not mar a clean window. Use with glass cleaner or APC.

94BlkStang
08-20-2005, 08:59 AM

I agree. Regular razors work excellent for window cleaning. To help along the way you can dampen a rag with some lacquer thinner to help soften the paint on the window. Don`t saturate the rag, but just get it damp enough to be able to slightly wet the trouble spot on the glass. Be cautious with it though as if it drips on the paint or any other material it could cause some damage. Follow up with a good glass cleaner and you should be good to go. Most tint shops clean the window with razors prior to putting the tint on. :D