PDA

View Full Version : Black in Britain

charliecroker
08-18-2005, 07:48 AM
hi all..this is my first post and i wondered if you can answer a few questions for me.

First of all i own a 2003 solid black mini cooper s, it is my pride and joy...my family will be sold as doner parts b4 i get rid of it.

Any way i bought her second hand and immediately went out and got the autoglym ultra deep shine polish and extra gloss protection.

however i didnt gloss protect her for a few months due to swirling that i needed to get rid of, someone put me onto meguiars scratch x and quik clay...used both of these on the car followed by gold class wax and the finish was spectacular.

however i live on the south coast of the UK (salty and dusty air) and dont have a garage so my baby has to sleep outside...so i am getting thru more quik detailer than my family gets thru milk.

any way a few weeks ago i decided to use the autoglym extra gloss protection over the ultra deep shine (autoglym) to see if i could get a longer lasting protection andshine on my car...(like you guys i want that deep glass...could dive into the paint look...no fingerprints, nothing) and i must say i am dissapointed. Not only that but it seems that the car wont now take anymore meguairs Gold class and give me the finish i originally wanted (hazing and stuff everywhere).

now as i said i am on the south coast of the uk so we pretty much have meguiars or autoglym , myrr or turtle wax..not much of a choice. :wall :wall

I REALLY NEED YUO GUYS ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO TO GET A LONG LASTING GLASS LOOK ON MY CAR.

HELP ME OBIWANS...YOUR MY ONLY HOPE :think:

imported_lix
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
May I be the first to welcome another UK`er to Autopia

:welcome :brit

If you want to "strip" the current waxes and sealants off the car, wash using your chosen shampoo and then use a cleaner product such as AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. This will clean your paint of any small contaminents and will remove any existing layers of product. Then protect with whatever you choose. Claying will also remove product, but you probably aren`t ready to clay again just yet.

You`ll be pleased to know we have a dedicated UK Forum together with a thread listing suppliers of "Autopian" products in the UK, so you`re not just stuck with whatever you can find in the local branch of Halfords. Links are in my sig.

Have you read David B`s detailing e-Book? You can find it here (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articlenoheader.php?articleId=58) . Also, you`ll find the Secret Decoder Ring (http://www.autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring) useful when trying to decode all the acronyms we use!

Hope this helps get you started.

charliecroker
08-18-2005, 08:29 AM
cheers alex i appreciate it

benpocock
08-18-2005, 08:31 AM
UDS is oily and EGP is a polymer/resin so it won`t bond very well to it, but rather "float" over the top. Adding GC wax over the top of the EGP will add more oils to the mix so you`re going to end up with bit of a "porridge" on top of your car.

I`d strip it all off, and then either do UDS on it`s own, SRP and EGP, or Scratch X and Gold Class on it`s own.

Hope this helps.

Ben

charliecroker
08-18-2005, 08:38 AM
cheers ben...you guys are great..however whats gonna give me the longer lasting shine the autoglym or megs???