PDA

View Full Version : big polishing problem

tensors22288
08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
ok today i decided to hook my buddy up with a free full polish and wax for his bday. the car: a red 96 camry swirled to hell. the wash and clay went well but the problem started with the polish. seeing the horrible swirls i went straight to 83 with a sonus orange pad. I applied liberally and dabbed around on about 1/4 of the hood and spread it on 4.5. after it was evenly coated i cranked it up to 5.5 and did a very slow (1 inch per sec) vertical pass. Heres the problem. As soon as i started going horizontally it literally just started caking up and sticking and drying. I have never seen anything like it. It didnt even have time to break down. It took me 5 minutes to try to get the dam polish off because it was so stuck on for some reason. I have never had an experience like this and i would really like to know what the problem was. i wasnt in direct sunlight and my only guess is that the pc was maybe generating to much heat? Again, it just started going to hell when i tried my vertical passes, basically it had already begun to dust and there was no polish left to buff over

toml
08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Did you season/prime the pad with some water or QD before you started?

tensors22288
08-17-2005, 08:15 PM
no but i figured since it was already soaked up with 83 from the previous detail, it wouldnt matter. That could be it but when i spread it around and did the verticals it looked fine, right texture. just the horizontal messed it up

Anthony O.
08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I have never worked with that product but the product may be flashing off too quick because you are spreading the product around OR you need to clean your pad as it may be build up.

Hard to determine really what the problem is.

Anthony

tensors22288
08-17-2005, 08:34 PM
it may be the caked product, ur rite. it was used for a detail or 2 before and didnt look too bad but i guess that could be it, i did clean it rite when i finished

rollman
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
It probably flashed off with the hot weather . Try working a smaller area with less product. Clean the pad a little more frequently during your detail. :buffing:

White95Max
08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I have that happen sometimes when either it`s really hot and/or humid, I`m working in the sun, or the pad is caked with product.

JeffM
08-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Too much product. Once the pad is wet, it takes about a dime or nickle size drop. I dont think priming 83 helps at all.

Speed is alittle too high also. 83 goes to hell past 5, and i find 4.5 to be really a better speed.

JasonD
08-18-2005, 07:12 PM
I was reading through these posts without reading the initial question, and already knew you guys were talking about #83. That`s some finicky stuff. It doesn`t like heat, cakes quickly, and flashes too fast. It`s hard to deal with, but when you kind of *figure it out*, it`s not that bad. I agree with JBM, with taking the heat into consideration, I`d say drop the speed down to 4.5, using 5 sparingly. Normally, I would say to add more product, but if you add more product you will cake the pad, thus your problem.

Flatfour
08-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Maybe try to use a clean pad, I always "wash" my pads after use in a bucket of water, ready for the next usage.

I too had problems with #83 and sticking, gumming, etc...

After a few more details, I now have much better results...

Using less product, lower speed (on rotary), only on cool surfaces and sometimes with a wet pad ...

WaXwOrKs
08-19-2005, 08:18 AM
What everyone else said, I had a simular problem and it turned out it was that the car was too hot, it was about 90 that day, and although the car wasn`t in direct sun the car was baking and the product caked up almost upon contact.

Gonzo
08-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I think the key word was "liberally". As with many other detailing methods, "less is more". Try using a thin line (about 1/8 or 1/4 inch wide about 1/2 of the pad diameter) of #83, spread it lightly just to prevent spattering, THEN go 4.5 for the "up-down" pass and 5-6 for the "back-forth", then another up-down, another back-forth until the area you are working is "dusting". Wipe of with MF and move to next 2 foot by 2 foot square.....

In the shade, not in the sun.