PDA

View Full Version : 303 Protectant

Intercooled
08-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I just used 303 for the first time on my H2 exterior plastic trim. I recently in the past 2 weeks tried 1Z Tefenfleger and Megs Natural Shine. 1Z looked great upon application but started to fade out and after rain left water spots and lines. Same with the Megs. I also didn`t like the Megs prodcut, too greesy and creamy. I have had the 303 on now for 2 days and it looks great, went on very easy and left a perfect sheen. I just hope all will look good after a rain. I have had the bottle 0f 303 for abour 6 months now but just have never used it. From what i have read on here it is very well liked and probably provides the best protection.

What are your guys experiences with this product on the exterior trim?

I think I`m going to do the interior this weekend.

az57chevy
08-17-2005, 07:17 PM
My ONLY complaint is if applied too heavily it seems to attract road dust!!

petraidm
08-18-2005, 03:09 AM
I have a convertible and used to use 303 on the top. My complaint was that 303 has "run off" issues that create a film coating on the paint after a rain or the next washing. This run off in minimized but not eliminated by wiping down the treated sections with a fresh / clean MF a couple hours after application to remove the excess material. However, given the textured surface of a convertible, I was never able to remove all the excess. I have switched to Raggtopp and have significanlty less runoff issues.

Also, I have some trim pieces along the bottom of another vehicle and find that the 303 does not last long on these pieces expecially in rainy climates ..... but then again I really have not found a protectant that does.

SK2003TypeS
08-18-2005, 08:06 AM
On exterior plastic type trim, I find it hard to make it "stay" when it rains. You have to be careful with how much you use.

It took me a few attempts to find a comfortable level of application on exterior rubber. I love how it keeps my moonroof seal.

Intercooled
08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I figured rain and washing wasn`t going to help keep it there very long, I guess I`ll have to reapply every other or every wash.

chml17l
08-18-2005, 01:59 PM
303 is a great protectant and I love it on the interior. However, most water-based products will not have great staying power on exterior trim.

I have had great luck with the Dupont Teflon Tire Shine (water-based) and it has great staying power thru many rains. I`ve never tried it on anything but the tires, but you might want to give it a shot as it is only about $6 locally at Advanced Auto parts.

brwill2005
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
The key with 303 is to apply it, wait a while, and then remove the excess with a MF . This techniques reduces the sheen though.

Alfisti
08-19-2005, 06:28 AM
My two favourite dressings are 303 and Mothers Protectant. Both leave a similar sheen and last about the same.

When used on exteriors I`ve discovered the best way to prevent streaking after getting wet is to apply with a cotton terry towel. It has more scrubbing and absorbing power on plastic and rubber (and scrubbing won`t hurt the surface...it`ll just clean it better). I`ve tried MF so many times but it didn`t prevent streaking.

Apply with the cotton terry, let it cure for an hour, wipe over with the same towel. Repeat the process and don`t let it get wet for about 8 hours after your treatments.

This`ll give you at least two weeks with either product.

Matt M, PA
08-19-2005, 06:41 AM
I also would agree that buffing 303 is the key to making it work well, but it still has a limited use in the weather. I now use 303 for interior plastics only.

For exterior rubber, vinyl, tires, etc..I use the Zaino Z16 (?) Perfect Tire Gloss. Slight shine, and excellent durability.

Intercooled
08-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I also would agree that buffing 303 is the key to making it work well, but it still has a limited use in the weather. I now use 303 for interior plastics only.

For exterior rubber, vinyl, tires, etc..I use the Zaino Z16 (?) Perfect Tire Gloss. Slight shine, and excellent durability.

I have the Z-16 and love it. But never really considered it on th exterior plastic. How does it compare to 303?