PDA

View Full Version : Fully removing old sealant/wax..

Pages : [1] 2

TDIGuy04
08-17-2005, 01:22 PM
What do my fellow autopians use to fully remove your old sealants and waxes? Looking for something quick and efficient, not too costly, and won`t stain trim. I know I`m asking a lot:p

klnyc
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Clay will do it.

TDIGuy04
08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Clay will do it.

I figured that, but it`s not quick. Would something like a dawn wash remove the sealant, maybe a white vinegar/water wash?

randomman84
08-17-2005, 01:26 PM
dawn should strip pretty much any protection on the car.

JeffM
08-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Depends what you have on there. Most OTC stuff will wash off with Dawn.

NXT most likely wont though.

For 5 bucks and a foam applicator i would go get some DC 1. It wont be fast like you are looking for, but its 5 bucks.

TDIGuy04
08-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Well lets say, 4* UPP or wolfgang sealant for example. Or Pinnacle souveran, natty`s paste wax... couple example`s.

Scottwax
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Clay and polish. In addition, claying and polishing will further refine your paint`s condition, where something like Dawn won`t.

chml17l
08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
KSG and Zaino would just laugh at a Dawn wash. The 4* UPP might be mildly annoyed, but if you want a cheap guaranteed wax/sealant stripper use some plain old rubbing alcohol (isopropyl).

A good degreaser APC (mimimally diluted) or something like P21S total auto wash will also work well on the carnauba waxes.

TDIGuy04
08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
I regularly clay and polish the paint, when needed. But like a lot of autopians I try new product combos, and I wanna be sure I have a clean slate to work with when applying a new combo. So far my favorite was 4* UPP/Souveran paste/Natty`s paste....WOW!!!

LOTA OT
08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
A wipe down with Prepsol (or equivalent) will most likely remove anything that`s on there. Not sure how safe it is for fequent repeated use, but it`s cheap at $5 a bottle.

JeffM
08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
If thats the case, then i would use something like Sonus paint cleaner, whatever its name is, or AIO.

Accumulator
08-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Dawn doesn`t remove LSPs for me at least not a freshly applied one. It might strip a beauty wax like Souveran, but something like Collinite or #16- no way. And it sure doesn`t remove sealants.

If you don`t want to bother with PrepSol, then yeah, as chml17l said you can just use rubbing alcohol. Either straight or mixed with water. It`s removed everything from wax to KSG for me with no problems at all. And I once used an alcohol-based window cleaner to strip UPP enough for duct tape to stick.

I`ve been spot-claying at every wash since the early `90s and I`m still :confused: about people removing LSPs with clay. You must clay *FAR* more aggressively than I ever do, as clay sure doesn`t take off an appreciable amount of my LSPs.

imported_Picus
08-17-2005, 04:54 PM
What about an IPA: water solution? Seems like that would remove any sealant or wax.

04 Hemi
08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Cant you use Klasse AIO, instead of Dawn that way you are ready to work with the paint after.

lbls1
08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
A good paint cleaner will make short work of any old lsp. Couple it with a mild to mildly aggressive (but clearcoat safe polish), and your paint should be totally lsp free when you`re done working on the paint.

I tend to stay away from Dawn, as it will remove some (but not all of your wax or lsp), it also tends to dry the paint with its alkaline ingredients. A good ph balanced car wash solution will do a lot more for you when you pair it with a proven paint cleaner (such as Gliptone`s pro-buff).