PDA

View Full Version : Does this item exsist?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_turbomangt
08-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows if a micro touch sander for rock chips. Someone told me that somebody body shops have these tools. I guess the best way to describe it is an extremely small piece of sandpaper small enough to sand a rock chip but not effect the finish surrounding it. if you know anything on where to find it, please post back. Thanks gary

imported_turbomangt
08-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows if a micro touch sander for rock chips. Someone told me that somebody body shops have these tools. I guess the best way to describe it is an extremely small piece of sandpaper small enough to sand a rock chip but not effect the finish surrounding it. if you know anything on where to find it, please post back. Thanks gary

braindead
08-16-2005, 05:58 AM
I found a pen like sanding tool in an Australian shop (Jaycar Electronics) equivalent to your radio shack. Can`t recall the name but it`s got some sort of fine fibres that you use to clean up small chips for example. It is made in the USA too from memory... Never thought of trying to use it to reduce the size of paint chip "blobs". Will have to give it a try. I`ve only ever used it to clean up stone chips... Hope it helps prompt others with more definitive info for ya cobber...

:idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea

braindead
I found a pen like sanding tool in an Australian shop (Jaycar Electronics) equivalent to your radio shack. Can`t recall the name but it`s got some sort of fine fibres that you use to clean up small chips for example. It is made in the USA too from memory... Never thought of trying to use it to reduce the size of paint chip "blobs". Will have to give it a try. I`ve only ever used it to clean up stone chips... Hope it helps prompt others with more definitive info for ya cobber...

:idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea :idea

imported_themightytimmah
I built my own using a pencil eraser, 2000 grit and a bit of tape. Just wrap the 2000 around the eraser and tape it on. Works like a charm, really cuts down on the mess while touching up chips.

imported_themightytimmah
I built my own using a pencil eraser, 2000 grit and a bit of tape. Just wrap the 2000 around the eraser and tape it on. Works like a charm, really cuts down on the mess while touching up chips.

kompressornsc
08-16-2005, 06:25 AM
I know I just saw this exact thing in the new Groit`s Catalog. I can`t find it on-line though.

kompressornsc
08-16-2005, 06:25 AM
I know I just saw this exact thing in the new Groit`s Catalog. I can`t find it on-line though.

Setec Astronomy
08-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Here it is: http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=50303A

Setec Astronomy
08-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Here it is: http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=50303A

Big Leegr
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
3M makes a fiber sanding pen too. It`s available at Wal-Marts in Canada, so I`d guess they`d be fairly easy to come by in the States.

Big Leegr
08-16-2005, 06:55 AM
3M makes a fiber sanding pen too. It`s available at Wal-Marts in Canada, so I`d guess they`d be fairly easy to come by in the States.

Accumulator
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Fiberglass pens like the one in the Griot`s link can work OK, but they`re not really fine enough for my taste. You can cut the fibers at a sharp angle and (*very* important) tape the area around the chip to keep the abrasion (only) where you want it. Get *lots* of refills (check with MicroMark, they have them) as they wear out fast. And you have to keep trimming them to maintain a nice sharp point that will stay in the chip. Without the tape, a strand of fiberglass will pop out of the chip and *really* scratch the surrounding paint. No foolin` you gotta be careful with these things.

The larger-diameter pens like the 3M are usaully too large IMO. But yeah, I have `em both and I do use them from time to time. They`re the sort of thing it pays to have around the shop but you gotta know their limitations.

Variation on themightytimmah`s method: use a hole-punch to punch out little round pieces of fine sandpaper. Use double-sided tape to stick them to the head of a pencil eraser. Since I`m *so* :rolleyes: careful about this stuff, I use 3K grit.

Accumulator
08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Fiberglass pens like the one in the Griot`s link can work OK, but they`re not really fine enough for my taste. You can cut the fibers at a sharp angle and (*very* important) tape the area around the chip to keep the abrasion (only) where you want it. Get *lots* of refills (check with MicroMark, they have them) as they wear out fast. And you have to keep trimming them to maintain a nice sharp point that will stay in the chip. Without the tape, a strand of fiberglass will pop out of the chip and *really* scratch the surrounding paint. No foolin` you gotta be careful with these things.

The larger-diameter pens like the 3M are usaully too large IMO. But yeah, I have `em both and I do use them from time to time. They`re the sort of thing it pays to have around the shop but you gotta know their limitations.

Variation on themightytimmah`s method: use a hole-punch to punch out little round pieces of fine sandpaper. Use double-sided tape to stick them to the head of a pencil eraser. Since I`m *so* :rolleyes: careful about this stuff, I use 3K grit.

imported_pdsterns
08-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Not to hijack thread but my friend has a fine stone that must be kept in a water bottle. I`ve never heard it mentioned on Autopia before, has anyone seen one or used it?