PDA

View Full Version : Which Polish Range?

Pages : [1] 2

Richt
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
After a few months of PC ownership and working on familys cars with good shape paint I really need to sort out a decent range of polishes to sort out other peoples cars.

So far #80, 82, AG SRP, VM have been fine for my own and familys cars. But after tackling a few friends cars #80 and Autoglym Paint Renovator are not really cutting it. As I thought they wouldnt anyway, but my main purpose with the PC was my own Black car from the outset which is now almost up together and never really needed any major cut. (Not touched it with a Cutting pad apart from in spot areas).

In order to sort out a few freinds cars and make some money from the PC its time to invest.

I had narrowed it Down to the Poorboys SSR Range or the Menzerna Intensive and Final Polish II duo, but am reading good thinks about Optimum.

I dont really fancy buying all three at the moment to see which I prefer! So the main priority is a product to step up in aggresiveness from the #80. Looking for a range that works well with the PC (No plans to get a rotatry at the moment) so the choices:

1. Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1 ( is it worth getting SSR 2? If I go this route)

2. Menzerna IP and FP II

3. Optimum Polish

or am I missing something better?

Also it would be nice if the choosen range works well on Black as thats my own personal car.

I have a PC with both Sonus SFX and Das pad ranges, plus 4 inch spot pads.

Polish wise I have lots of mild stuff already if this helps pick the polishes to use before what I already have 80, 82, 81, 9, 7, VM, YCW, RMG, AG SRP, AIO, Carlack.

Cheers

Rich

Richt
08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
After a few months of PC ownership and working on familys cars with good shape paint I really need to sort out a decent range of polishes to sort out other peoples cars.

So far #80, 82, AG SRP, VM have been fine for my own and familys cars. But after tackling a few friends cars #80 and Autoglym Paint Renovator are not really cutting it. As I thought they wouldnt anyway, but my main purpose with the PC was my own Black car from the outset which is now almost up together and never really needed any major cut. (Not touched it with a Cutting pad apart from in spot areas).

In order to sort out a few freinds cars and make some money from the PC its time to invest.

I had narrowed it Down to the Poorboys SSR Range or the Menzerna Intensive and Final Polish II duo, but am reading good thinks about Optimum.

I dont really fancy buying all three at the moment to see which I prefer! So the main priority is a product to step up in aggresiveness from the #80. Looking for a range that works well with the PC (No plans to get a rotatry at the moment) so the choices:

1. Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1 ( is it worth getting SSR 2? If I go this route)

2. Menzerna IP and FP II

3. Optimum Polish

or am I missing something better?

Also it would be nice if the choosen range works well on Black as thats my own personal car.

I have a PC with both Sonus SFX and Das pad ranges, plus 4 inch spot pads.

Polish wise I have lots of mild stuff already if this helps pick the polishes to use before what I already have 80, 82, 81, 9, 7, VM, YCW, RMG, AG SRP, AIO, Carlack.

Cheers

Rich

carnut00
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Personally I have gotten great results using all 3 polishes in the DP line (super, mild, and the final). With my cars just one pass with a megs polishing pad and some mild swirl eliminator and the swirls were gone and they wipe off like butter. Thats my opinion.

carnut00
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Personally I have gotten great results using all 3 polishes in the DP line (super, mild, and the final). With my cars just one pass with a megs polishing pad and some mild swirl eliminator and the swirls were gone and they wipe off like butter. Thats my opinion.

benpocock
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Out of the three you`ve mentioned Rich I`d go with the SSR line as they an be used in the heat (whereas I hear Menzerna is a bear in the sun) and I don`t know much about Optimum yet. If you do go this route though, I would substitute SSR1 for SSR2 as it will prove more versatile, especially considering you already have a bunch of mild products that can take the place of SSR1 (e.g. VM or SRP).

If you want a sample of SSR2.5 to play with bung a bottle my way and I`ll give you some as there`s a gallon of it sitting in my garage.

Ben

benpocock
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Out of the three you`ve mentioned Rich I`d go with the SSR line as they an be used in the heat (whereas I hear Menzerna is a bear in the sun) and I don`t know much about Optimum yet. If you do go this route though, I would substitute SSR1 for SSR2 as it will prove more versatile, especially considering you already have a bunch of mild products that can take the place of SSR1 (e.g. VM or SRP).

If you want a sample of SSR2.5 to play with bung a bottle my way and I`ll give you some as there`s a gallon of it sitting in my garage.

Ben

Richt
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Cheers Ben, that would be usefull I will dig out a bottle if I can find one. In all honesty if I go the Poorboys route I may just get SSR 2.5, 2, and 1 as they all all easily available over here from Alex. But saying that if VM or SRP take the place of SSRI and the fact I have 5 litres of SRP I may have to re think that.

In that case say I got some minor hazing from 2.5 could I go to VM or SRP, to sort it? Or would I be better sterpping down to 2 first. A few threads on here have mentioned having 2.5 and 1 and skipping the 2, but others mention going down 2.5, 2 and then 1?

I tried the SSR range at AndyC`s PC day and they worked well in the sun, and had heard Menzerna could be a little more difficult to work.

Richt
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Cheers Ben, that would be usefull I will dig out a bottle if I can find one. In all honesty if I go the Poorboys route I may just get SSR 2.5, 2, and 1 as they all all easily available over here from Alex. But saying that if VM or SRP take the place of SSRI and the fact I have 5 litres of SRP I may have to re think that.

In that case say I got some minor hazing from 2.5 could I go to VM or SRP, to sort it? Or would I be better sterpping down to 2 first. A few threads on here have mentioned having 2.5 and 1 and skipping the 2, but others mention going down 2.5, 2 and then 1?

I tried the SSR range at AndyC`s PC day and they worked well in the sun, and had heard Menzerna could be a little more difficult to work.

benpocock
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I`ve got my mates black M5 in the garage at the moment and took a couple of scratches out with 2.5 and a SFX1 pad which left some hazing (I`ve never had hazing with 2.5 and a Meg`s cutting pad, even on black) and SRP took care of it brilliantly.

I have SSR1 as well but never feel I have to use it, (1) because 2.5 breaks down so well, and (2) because I don`t really think it does anything that a mild polish/glaze combination product (such as VM) can`t do. Personally, I think after 2.5 you can use SRP if you`re going the sealant route, or VM if you`re going the carnauba. I`ve used 6oz of SSR1 to about 3/4 gallon of 2.5 - that`s how little I use it. I suggested getting SSR2 as it would be more useful if you had some minor swirling that you felt 2.5 was a bit aggressive for, but to be honest I tend to use 2.5 with a polishing pad when I`m in this position.

Hope this helps.

Ben

benpocock
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I`ve got my mates black M5 in the garage at the moment and took a couple of scratches out with 2.5 and a SFX1 pad which left some hazing (I`ve never had hazing with 2.5 and a Meg`s cutting pad, even on black) and SRP took care of it brilliantly.

I have SSR1 as well but never feel I have to use it, (1) because 2.5 breaks down so well, and (2) because I don`t really think it does anything that a mild polish/glaze combination product (such as VM) can`t do. Personally, I think after 2.5 you can use SRP if you`re going the sealant route, or VM if you`re going the carnauba. I`ve used 6oz of SSR1 to about 3/4 gallon of 2.5 - that`s how little I use it. I suggested getting SSR2 as it would be more useful if you had some minor swirling that you felt 2.5 was a bit aggressive for, but to be honest I tend to use 2.5 with a polishing pad when I`m in this position.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Richt
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Top advice Ben, many thanks. So pad can be part of the factor in if the 2.5 leaves having then. I have the DAS and SFX pads at the moment.

I love VM and SRP so knowing they can clear up anything 2.5 could leave behind is good news. I guess 80 or 82 could also be used after 2.5 if need be?

2 sounds like it could be usefull on my own car for trouble spots. I seem to have stuck to the polishing pad on my own car and the familys, only used the cutting pad on friends cars so far.

Richt
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Top advice Ben, many thanks. So pad can be part of the factor in if the 2.5 leaves having then. I have the DAS and SFX pads at the moment.

I love VM and SRP so knowing they can clear up anything 2.5 could leave behind is good news. I guess 80 or 82 could also be used after 2.5 if need be?

2 sounds like it could be usefull on my own car for trouble spots. I seem to have stuck to the polishing pad on my own car and the familys, only used the cutting pad on friends cars so far.

Richt
08-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Has any one goy any comparisons of Optimum against SSR 2.5?

Will Optimum and a Cutting pad be as abbrassive?

AndyC_1
08-17-2005, 05:24 AM
Rich,

I`ve used SSR & OPT with PC & rotary so I hope I can give you a fair comparison mate.

I found them quite similar in terms of "what they can do" and the final finish they both give (i.e. LSP ready). SSR dusts more than OPT (certainly via PC use) but OPT is slightly more effective at shifting really deep swirls - when I say "more effective" what I really mean is "faster" so if you`re doing paid work, speed IMHO is of the essence and if the products leave a similar finish, then it`s a no brainer to use the product which breaks down faster.

Via PC, I`d say SSR might have the edge - OPT in my experience works slightly better via rotary than PC but it`s a speed issue again. SSR2.5 is still my go to swirl remover on my own and customer cars, with OPT & Menzerna being the next step if 2.5 struggles.

SSR will work well on either a cutting or polishing pad and leaves only minimal hazing via a cutting pad - SSR2 will usually clear this up, or 2.5 via polishing or finishing pad.

Perfectly happy to do another "try before you buy" session with you (and anyone else who fancies it) - Ben & I are planning a rotary session shortly and I see no reason why the 2 can`t be combined.

** DISCLAIMER ** I will not suggest whether openly or overtly that Richt buys a rotary - if he chooses to do so after seeing one in action, this is his choice entirely and any retribution from any female with whom he consorts is in no way my fault :grinno:

Richt
08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Cheers Andy - you are a bad man, last time I came to your`s I ended up buying a PC. I am not sure I do enough poorly shaped cars to invest one, let alone if Anna finds out I am spending more money!

But I guess I would need to at least sample one!

I may get some Optimum from Motorgeek along with some OCW, and get some SSR 2.5 from Alex when I grab some Blur Nattys then.