PDA

View Full Version : For some of us older guys: remember to work slower in the heat...

Pages : [1] 2 3

JustinR32
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Man, it`s been hot. And humid. And I`m probably not in the worst of it, either. It`s been over 90* something like 26 times this year here in NEPA. We`ve set a record number of heat records. It was 96* today; it was 79* at 8AM. I know you FL guys, that`s normal, but you are setting records down there too; it`s hotter and more humid than it usually is.

For us older guys, lets remember to drink lots of water, move more methodically, set up a fan, and enjoy the time spent doing the task. I did both the cars today, but I made a point of starting earlier and finishing later. I squirted myself down often as well. I used the rolling seat to do the sides. I drank lots of water. What I did was, I intentionally moved like an old guy.

Actually, that`s not only good advice for the older guys. Younger folks too are at risk for heat related conditions.

It rained like a sonu```un when I was done. I`ll say that ColorX beads really nicely.

I`m more and more impressed with the Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer. Every time I use it, it gives the interior that "new car look". I did the seats with Griot`s Leather Care. That`s another product that I find superior. I love the way it restores not only the new leather look, but also the smell.

Tom

JustinR32
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Man, it`s been hot. And humid. And I`m probably not in the worst of it, either. It`s been over 90* something like 26 times this year here in NEPA. We`ve set a record number of heat records. It was 96* today; it was 79* at 8AM. I know you FL guys, that`s normal, but you are setting records down there too; it`s hotter and more humid than it usually is.

For us older guys, lets remember to drink lots of water, move more methodically, set up a fan, and enjoy the time spent doing the task. I did both the cars today, but I made a point of starting earlier and finishing later. I squirted myself down often as well. I used the rolling seat to do the sides. I drank lots of water. What I did was, I intentionally moved like an old guy.

Actually, that`s not only good advice for the older guys. Younger folks too are at risk for heat related conditions.

It rained like a sonu```un when I was done. I`ll say that ColorX beads really nicely.

I`m more and more impressed with the Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer. Every time I use it, it gives the interior that "new car look". I did the seats with Griot`s Leather Care. That`s another product that I find superior. I love the way it restores not only the new leather look, but also the smell.

Tom

Scottwax
08-14-2005, 09:05 PM
:dunno: It was easier today to work in the hazy sunshine vs the customer`s garage. At least outside the air was moving.

Actually, the last few summers in Dallas haven`t been bad at all. Maybe a handful of 100 degree days each summer.

Scottwax
08-14-2005, 09:05 PM
:dunno: It was easier today to work in the hazy sunshine vs the customer`s garage. At least outside the air was moving.

Actually, the last few summers in Dallas haven`t been bad at all. Maybe a handful of 100 degree days each summer.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Tom, seems your getting we we had out west a few weeks ago. We had several days over 100, and a good couple weeks in the 90`s....Its no fun working in those conditions....Heres a little write up I did on another forum, last year:

Proper care, of yourself. Period.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know about the rest of you, but its been warm in So. Cal for the last week or so. Details are all lined up for the remainder of the month. Several weeks ago, while out in Northridge , CA, I was detailing a white Mustang GT, it was very warm then, about 95 or so. And the sun was absolutely blistering on the skin. A couple weeks prior to this job, i had bought a EZ-up for detailing and RV`ing purposes, and i was sure glad i had it that day. I worked under that canopy for nearly 5 hours, and unless the sun is exactly 90 deg`s up, which it wasnt, your still detailing in partial sun for the job, unless you move the car every 1/2 hr or so. I made sure to hydrate myself frequently, but the sun really sucks it right out of you,and who wants to work on a full stomach?! I probably should have taken better care of myself, had a lunch, popped a vitamin in the morning....but i really wanted to finish this job, due to ill affects of the sun. I finally finished, I was happy with the look i gave the GT, the owner came out and was real happy as well.......Then she wanted to chat for a bit..fine if your feeling ok, but i was really about ready to pass out. I was hungry, dehydrated, and kind of nausious.....We finished the discussion, and i was off like a prom dress to McDonalds for some Iced Tea.....I finally made it, sucked that tea down, and was 50% better in a matter of moments.....Now, a 40 mile drive home!!!!

My point is, detailing is difficult enough on its own, even on a gorgeous day, (mid 60`s for me), but when it gets warm, it can really take a toll on your body. And when you get tired, and dehydrated, the total job suffers, as well as the body. When you have decided to devote several hours to your Mach, Cobra, GT, whatever it is you may drive, decide to wait for weather to be on your side. And if you insist on detailing in warm and/or humid weather, prepare yourself ahead of time. Get a good amount of sleep, and dont overindulge the night before. Alcohol really zaps the sytem of vitamins and minerals. Also consider a small investment in a EZ-up type canopy, to stay in the shade. Take frequent breaks, maintain hydration, and eat for energy! Im not a doctor, so i cant tell you exactly what to do, but im experienced, and can tell you what NOT to do!!

a.k.a. Patrick
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Tom, seems your getting we we had out west a few weeks ago. We had several days over 100, and a good couple weeks in the 90`s....Its no fun working in those conditions....Heres a little write up I did on another forum, last year:

Proper care, of yourself. Period.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know about the rest of you, but its been warm in So. Cal for the last week or so. Details are all lined up for the remainder of the month. Several weeks ago, while out in Northridge , CA, I was detailing a white Mustang GT, it was very warm then, about 95 or so. And the sun was absolutely blistering on the skin. A couple weeks prior to this job, i had bought a EZ-up for detailing and RV`ing purposes, and i was sure glad i had it that day. I worked under that canopy for nearly 5 hours, and unless the sun is exactly 90 deg`s up, which it wasnt, your still detailing in partial sun for the job, unless you move the car every 1/2 hr or so. I made sure to hydrate myself frequently, but the sun really sucks it right out of you,and who wants to work on a full stomach?! I probably should have taken better care of myself, had a lunch, popped a vitamin in the morning....but i really wanted to finish this job, due to ill affects of the sun. I finally finished, I was happy with the look i gave the GT, the owner came out and was real happy as well.......Then she wanted to chat for a bit..fine if your feeling ok, but i was really about ready to pass out. I was hungry, dehydrated, and kind of nausious.....We finished the discussion, and i was off like a prom dress to McDonalds for some Iced Tea.....I finally made it, sucked that tea down, and was 50% better in a matter of moments.....Now, a 40 mile drive home!!!!

My point is, detailing is difficult enough on its own, even on a gorgeous day, (mid 60`s for me), but when it gets warm, it can really take a toll on your body. And when you get tired, and dehydrated, the total job suffers, as well as the body. When you have decided to devote several hours to your Mach, Cobra, GT, whatever it is you may drive, decide to wait for weather to be on your side. And if you insist on detailing in warm and/or humid weather, prepare yourself ahead of time. Get a good amount of sleep, and dont overindulge the night before. Alcohol really zaps the sytem of vitamins and minerals. Also consider a small investment in a EZ-up type canopy, to stay in the shade. Take frequent breaks, maintain hydration, and eat for energy! Im not a doctor, so i cant tell you exactly what to do, but im experienced, and can tell you what NOT to do!!

JustinR32
08-15-2005, 06:46 AM

But Scott, everyone knows you`re superhuman... ;)

The air here is totally dead, it`s been just this side of working underwater.

Tom

JustinR32
08-15-2005, 06:46 AM

But Scott, everyone knows you`re superhuman... ;)

The air here is totally dead, it`s been just this side of working underwater.

Tom

SK2003TypeS
08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Watch the dehydration factor guyz. I had kidney stones last year. Doc told me dehydration is a factor. It is the worst feeling I`ve ever had. Kinda like someone taking a baseball bat to your back and then when you`re laid out and barely able to move, they go to town on ya.

Water, water and more water.

...and Scottwax is the Autopian Cyborg :D

SK2003TypeS
08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Watch the dehydration factor guyz. I had kidney stones last year. Doc told me dehydration is a factor. It is the worst feeling I`ve ever had. Kinda like someone taking a baseball bat to your back and then when you`re laid out and barely able to move, they go to town on ya.

AutoCadillac
08-15-2005, 07:49 AM
We`ve had several days in the 90s lately and it really tires me out quickly. Besides drinking water, I try to wet my whole body down while working outside for any length of time. But, most importantly, I try to get my outside work done as early in the morning as possible. So at 6:00 AM yesterday, I was washing my car. By the time it hit 90, I was taking a shower. Aftwards I took my wife to a car museum and then lunch. Then, I had a power nap

AutoCadillac
08-15-2005, 07:49 AM
We`ve had several days in the 90s lately and it really tires me out quickly. Besides drinking water, I try to wet my whole body down while working outside for any length of time. But, most importantly, I try to get my outside work done as early in the morning as possible. So at 6:00 AM yesterday, I was washing my car. By the time it hit 90, I was taking a shower. Aftwards I took my wife to a car museum and then lunch. Then, I had a power nap

n2_space
08-15-2005, 08:34 AM

I had those about 3 years ago.... it was horrible :( Do be careful and drink a lot of liquid. I tried a new gatorade that is suppose to replace what you sweat out. I honestly did feel better than when I was drinking water while drinking that.

n2_space
08-15-2005, 08:34 AM

I had those about 3 years ago.... it was horrible :( Do be careful and drink a lot of liquid. I tried a new gatorade that is suppose to replace what you sweat out. I honestly did feel better than when I was drinking water while drinking that.

Anthony O.
08-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Lemonade is vital to drink if one is prone to kidney stones. Some of my docs are Urologists and avoiding sodas, coffee and dehydration are key. You can have soda and coffee but I limit myself now to 1 or 2 a week. Lemonade is shown to not only prevent stones from forming but Lemonade can also dissolve already formed stones.

Distilled water is said to be better than Spring water as Spring water may have minerals in it and some docs believe this may have a negative effect. So I drink lots of water and cool refreshing lemonade :woohoo: Also, motorcyle riders hardly ever develop kidney stones...jus a little factoid :grinno:

Anthony