PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a BMW Cloth Cabriolet Roof - Process to Use?

imported_SilverStallion
08-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I purchased the BMW Protectant Treatment for my father`s 2004 330i Cab. and I am not sure how to apply since there are no instructions in english on the product. It is the "impermable solution" and is in a spray bottle. I am wondering how I should apply this product...suggestions from people who have used other cab. top protectants would be appreciated.

The car is Midnight Blue Individual Edition protected with Pinnacle Souveran, and I do not want to harm the paint. Is it ok to get the top protectant on the paint? Should I wash the top first? The protectant was over $50.00 CAD so I do not want to waste product either. The top is Navy blue cloth in perfect condition as shown in the following pic.

http://images9.fotki.com/v184/photos/5/50728/2170048/DSC01664-vi.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.

~Darren

imported_SilverStallion
08-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I purchased the BMW Protectant Treatment for my father`s 2004 330i Cab. and I am not sure how to apply since there are no instructions in english on the product. It is the "impermable solution" and is in a spray bottle. I am wondering how I should apply this product...suggestions from people who have used other cab. top protectants would be appreciated.

The car is Midnight Blue Individual Edition protected with Pinnacle Souveran, and I do not want to harm the paint. Is it ok to get the top protectant on the paint? Should I wash the top first? The protectant was over $50.00 CAD so I do not want to waste product either. The top is Navy blue cloth in perfect condition as shown in the following pic.

http://images9.fotki.com/v184/photos/5/50728/2170048/DSC01664-vi.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.

~Darren

Rufus03
08-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Silver Stallion,

Iv`e never used the BMW sealant but I can give you the general process. Start by vacuming the top with a brush attachment. Then wet the top down in the shade with water. Use a top cleaner, Autosol, Raggtop, 303 and spray down the top. After letting it soad for approx 5 minutes, use a soft brush, and a bucket of water to gently work the solution into the top and to dislodge dirt. Rinse the top with lots of clean water. Let it dry. After it dries, use a sponge to apply a heavy coat of sealant to the top. Remove any sealant that will not absorb into the top. The impregnating agent usually lasts for three months. You do not need to wash the top each time you wash the car. If it is soiled, vacume and you can use a gentle cleaner like P21S car wash soap and a mit to wash on occasion. The top cleaner is only to deep clean and prep for the impregnation agent.

Check with BMW and see if the solution needs to be diluted. Autosol has a great impregnating solution but it needs to be diluted.

That`s a beautiful car. My wifes Z3 is a similar color. I have used this process for 4 years, with Autosol products and the top of the car is in mint condition.

Rufus03
08-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Silver Stallion,

Iv`e never used the BMW sealant but I can give you the general process. Start by vacuming the top with a brush attachment. Then wet the top down in the shade with water. Use a top cleaner, Autosol, Raggtop, 303 and spray down the top. After letting it soad for approx 5 minutes, use a soft brush, and a bucket of water to gently work the solution into the top and to dislodge dirt. Rinse the top with lots of clean water. Let it dry. After it dries, use a sponge to apply a heavy coat of sealant to the top. Remove any sealant that will not absorb into the top. The impregnating agent usually lasts for three months. You do not need to wash the top each time you wash the car. If it is soiled, vacume and you can use a gentle cleaner like P21S car wash soap and a mit to wash on occasion. The top cleaner is only to deep clean and prep for the impregnation agent.

Check with BMW and see if the solution needs to be diluted. Autosol has a great impregnating solution but it needs to be diluted.

That`s a beautiful car. My wifes Z3 is a similar color. I have used this process for 4 years, with Autosol products and the top of the car is in mint condition.

imported_SilverStallion
08-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the input. I will use your suggestions.

~Darren

imported_SilverStallion
08-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the input. I will use your suggestions.

~Darren