PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about taking off clearcoat. Advice?

Legend107
08-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I apologize if this post is in the wrong catagory.

Hello,

Unfortunatly the car has been sitting 24/7 outdoors and all the elements have destroyed its appearance. The paint is original and is about 12 years old. Now the car will be garaged and I`d like to experiment and learn more concerning its exterior appearance. So far most of my practice has been in upkeeping the leather/trim.

Issue: Thin layer of clear coat is flaking exposing just the paint. Spending time to fix this problem is not a factor. However $ for good paint job is a problem, but $ for equipment/material is fine.

Idea: Get rid of all clearcoat problems, refine and protect stock paint.

Statement: Please correct me if I am incorrect about my assumption. I figure the factory 93 acura paint is almost as thick as a Stage1 paint job. Iv seen many cars that have been sprayed w/o clearcoat. Once the paint cures and hardens, its then wet sanded / polished / etc / protected. I usually see this done on hot rods and I like how it turns out. Of course all this is done because of a budget, for other reasons I am not aware of.

What I would like to know is if its possible to remove the clearcoat, then treat the paint. If there is a better solution please advice besides a new paint job. If everything is as follows, what would be a good method of ridding the clear coat.

Equipment/Material: Compounds/etc are limited but I will purchase soon depending on the outcome of this thread and research. I have recently purchased the PC 7424 w/ Sonus Kit

Thank you for your time

Legend107
08-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I apologize if this post is in the wrong catagory.

Hello,

Unfortunatly the car has been sitting 24/7 outdoors and all the elements have destroyed its appearance. The paint is original and is about 12 years old. Now the car will be garaged and I`d like to experiment and learn more concerning its exterior appearance. So far most of my practice has been in upkeeping the leather/trim.

Issue: Thin layer of clear coat is flaking exposing just the paint. Spending time to fix this problem is not a factor. However $ for good paint job is a problem, but $ for equipment/material is fine.

Idea: Get rid of all clearcoat problems, refine and protect stock paint.

Statement: Please correct me if I am incorrect about my assumption. I figure the factory 93 acura paint is almost as thick as a Stage1 paint job. Iv seen many cars that have been sprayed w/o clearcoat. Once the paint cures and hardens, its then wet sanded / polished / etc / protected. I usually see this done on hot rods and I like how it turns out. Of course all this is done because of a budget, for other reasons I am not aware of.

What I would like to know is if its possible to remove the clearcoat, then treat the paint. If there is a better solution please advice besides a new paint job. If everything is as follows, what would be a good method of ridding the clear coat.

Equipment/Material: Compounds/etc are limited but I will purchase soon depending on the outcome of this thread and research. I have recently purchased the PC 7424 w/ Sonus Kit

Thank you for your time

imported_rusty bumper
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
The problem with removing the CC is that the base coat has no hardness to it. It just won`t stand up to anything without the CC to protect it.

If I were in your shoes, I would have the vehicle sanded & repainted as soon as funds permit.

imported_rusty bumper
08-13-2005, 06:10 PM
The problem with removing the CC is that the base coat has no hardness to it. It just won`t stand up to anything without the CC to protect it.

If I were in your shoes, I would have the vehicle sanded & repainted as soon as funds permit.

papi_jay
08-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Single stage urethane or Polyurethane with the proper catalyst , reducers and hardeners would be fine with 2 good coats

papi_jay
08-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Single stage urethane or Polyurethane with the proper catalyst , reducers and hardeners would be fine with 2 good coats

Anthony O.
08-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Remove your clear and your pigmented paint won`t last much longer. Clear coated cars "base" paint I don`t believe are designed or finished out for single stage needs. What ever method you use to remove your clear coat will, I am sure, adversly effect the pigmented base color.

Get it repainted properly.

Anthony

Anthony O.
08-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Remove your clear and your pigmented paint won`t last much longer. Clear coated cars "base" paint I don`t believe are designed or finished out for single stage needs. What ever method you use to remove your clear coat will, I am sure, adversly effect the pigmented base color.

Anthony

imported_rusty bumper
08-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Anthony

Good advice.

I have an older car that the CC is breaking up in places and it (base coat) looks terrible no matter what I put on it.

Time for a repaint when funds permit. :D

imported_rusty bumper
08-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Anthony

Good advice.

I have an older car that the CC is breaking up in places and it (base coat) looks terrible no matter what I put on it.

Time for a repaint when funds permit. :D

Legend107
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
ahH i c now, thanks guys for the good information and advice. i guess i have no choice but to start saving money for a good paint job.

thank you

Legend107
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
ahH i c now, thanks guys for the good information and advice. i guess i have no choice but to start saving money for a good paint job.

thank you