PDA

View Full Version : Beading on fabric roofs

Brazo
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
My wifes convertible fabric roof has been properly cleaned and 303 fabric protectant applied, it beads wonderfully, indeed a whole bucket of water would just sheet off. However after prolonged exposure to heavy rain it loses that beading and water appears to `soak` in on the top, although it still beads nicely on the sides.

Once dry again and subject to milder rain it beads fine as if nothing has happened :werd:

Is this usual for a fabric roof, can the protectants only do so much?

Brazo
08-13-2005, 07:34 AM
My wifes convertible fabric roof has been properly cleaned and 303 fabric protectant applied, it beads wonderfully, indeed a whole bucket of water would just sheet off. However after prolonged exposure to heavy rain it loses that beading and water appears to `soak` in on the top, although it still beads nicely on the sides.

Once dry again and subject to milder rain it beads fine as if nothing has happened :werd:

Is this usual for a fabric roof, can the protectants only do so much?

imported_memnuts
08-14-2005, 03:55 AM
How many coats of protectant did you apply.

I use RaggTop and normally apply 3 coats. Beads like crazy. I can do a complete vehicle wash without the fabric becoming wet. Even so, if rain is allowed to settle in beads over a longer period of time they will eventually soak in.

Though normally usage the top will accumulate some dirt and dust and let`s not forget UV exposure and acidic rain. All these things will cause the protection to diminish over time.

Again prep of the top is extremely important. I am sure you did this but vacuuming the fabric is as important as washing it. Vacuuming will remove debris in the fabric that if not removed is not allowing the protectant to "fill" these spaces. This leads to incomplete protectant coverage and means for water to leech into fabric.

imported_memnuts
08-14-2005, 03:55 AM
How many coats of protectant did you apply.

I use RaggTop and normally apply 3 coats. Beads like crazy. I can do a complete vehicle wash without the fabric becoming wet. Even so, if rain is allowed to settle in beads over a longer period of time they will eventually soak in.

Though normally usage the top will accumulate some dirt and dust and let`s not forget UV exposure and acidic rain. All these things will cause the protection to diminish over time.

Again prep of the top is extremely important. I am sure you did this but vacuuming the fabric is as important as washing it. Vacuuming will remove debris in the fabric that if not removed is not allowing the protectant to "fill" these spaces. This leads to incomplete protectant coverage and means for water to leech into fabric.

Brazo
08-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Cheers

I did a couple of coats and yeah I hoovered, lint roller, washed, dryed and protected. As you say I suppose it can only take so much before it eventuallys soaks in, maybe a few more coats will help. I understand from reading these forums that rag topp is better than 303 but autopia can`t export to the uk, I suppose it comes in pressurised cans?

Brazo
08-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Cheers

I did a couple of coats and yeah I hoovered, lint roller, washed, dryed and protected. As you say I suppose it can only take so much before it eventuallys soaks in, maybe a few more coats will help. I understand from reading these forums that rag topp is better than 303 but autopia can`t export to the uk, I suppose it comes in pressurised cans?

Anthony O.
08-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Try Autogeek, they ship worldwide I believe.

Anthony

Anthony O.
08-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Try Autogeek, they ship worldwide I believe.

Anthony

Bill D
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I applied Raggtop to the cabrio-style roof of my Sunday driver. I feel better it has some protection from the environment now.

Spray it on inside and mask off any glass or paint with towels or sheets. If do you get over spray no bid deal, QDing/glass cleaner will get it off.

I use one of those over sized lint rollers on a pole for maintenance as well. :up

Bill D
08-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I applied Raggtop to the cabrio-style roof of my Sunday driver. I feel better it has some protection from the environment now.

Spray it on inside and mask off any glass or paint with towels or sheets. If do you get over spray no bid deal, QDing/glass cleaner will get it off.

I use one of those over sized lint rollers on a pole for maintenance as well. :up