PDA

View Full Version : paint removal? need help/advise

evolutionvalet
08-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Guys,

We have a large job on our hands that has left us scratching our heads.

We have 43 cars to decontaminate. A Painter has been spraying some shipping containers with white machine enamel paint and has left a dusting of paint on a large number of vehicles.

Now, we are half way through clay blocking the paint but have come up with a problem. The window rubbers and plastic trims are also coated and we have tried everything we have to remove the overspray on these areas. Due to the dimpled effect, the paint has sunk and harden onto the plastci and also sunk into the porous rubber.

Has anyone got any ideas as to a product or technique to help us remove this paint.

The painters supplier suggested paint remover!!!!! but I dont think I will try that as there are some big dollar cars affected.

If anyone can help, then please reply or send us an email.

Many thanks

Kev

Evolution Valet.

evolutionvalet
08-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Guys,

We have a large job on our hands that has left us scratching our heads.

We have 43 cars to decontaminate. A Painter has been spraying some shipping containers with white machine enamel paint and has left a dusting of paint on a large number of vehicles.

Now, we are half way through clay blocking the paint but have come up with a problem. The window rubbers and plastic trims are also coated and we have tried everything we have to remove the overspray on these areas. Due to the dimpled effect, the paint has sunk and harden onto the plastci and also sunk into the porous rubber.

Has anyone got any ideas as to a product or technique to help us remove this paint.

The painters supplier suggested paint remover!!!!! but I dont think I will try that as there are some big dollar cars affected.

If anyone can help, then please reply or send us an email.

Many thanks

Kev

Evolution Valet.

MorBid
08-12-2005, 06:01 AM
Have you tried any body shop products like Prep-Sol or maybe some Laquer Thinner?

MorBid
08-12-2005, 06:01 AM
Have you tried any body shop products like Prep-Sol or maybe some Laquer Thinner?

zippymbr
08-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with a Wax free QD. I have had some sucess getting trafic paint off trim with that combo. You could try a solvent on the trim, but it might discolor it.

zippymbr
08-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with a Wax free QD. I have had some sucess getting trafic paint off trim with that combo. You could try a solvent on the trim, but it might discolor it.

evolutionvalet
08-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Cheers guys,

I have tried Prep - sol. But doesnt really do much. The paint is machine enamel and it seems to dry much harder than conventional paint we have come across before.

zippymbr- where would I get a Mr Clean Eraser from? We are based in the UK. Is it something a bodyshop would have?

Many thanks

Kev

evolutionvalet
08-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Cheers guys,

I have tried Prep - sol. But doesnt really do much. The paint is machine enamel and it seems to dry much harder than conventional paint we have come across before.

zippymbr- where would I get a Mr Clean Eraser from? We are based in the UK. Is it something a bodyshop would have?

Many thanks

Kev

zippymbr
08-12-2005, 06:56 AM
I get mine at Walmart. But most home centers have them.

zippymbr
08-12-2005, 06:56 AM
I get mine at Walmart. But most home centers have them.