PDA

View Full Version : How to clean RED stiching?

Pages : [1] 2

djerickd
08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
:woot: Hello all, it`s my first post! :woot:

So I ran a search and came with nothing on how to clean the red stiching on steering wheels, shift knobs, and e-brake handles. They tend to get dingy over time :( I`ve heard of using Oxy-clean or maybe the Prestone Interior Cleaner (similar to Blue Coral Dri-Clean) Any ideas?

djerickd
08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
:woot: Hello all, it`s my first post! :woot:

So I ran a search and came with nothing on how to clean the red stiching on steering wheels, shift knobs, and e-brake handles. They tend to get dingy over time :( I`ve heard of using Oxy-clean or maybe the Prestone Interior Cleaner (similar to Blue Coral Dri-Clean) Any ideas?

djerickd
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Here`s a pic of what I`m trying to clean (JDM steering wheel):

https://home.comcast.net/~djerickd/pics/DSC00573.JPG

djerickd
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Here`s a pic of what I`m trying to clean (JDM steering wheel):

https://home.comcast.net/~djerickd/pics/DSC00573.JPG

jetskie
08-11-2005, 02:31 PM
A small amount of interior cleaner on a small brush like a soft tooth brush should work. Remember that the cleaner will dry the leather so you will need to apply a light conditioner to the leather.

jetskie
08-11-2005, 02:31 PM
A small amount of interior cleaner on a small brush like a soft tooth brush should work. Remember that the cleaner will dry the leather so you will need to apply a light conditioner to the leather.

buellwinkle
08-11-2005, 08:47 PM
It`s best to remove the stiching, have it dry cleaned and sew it back on. Personally, I would use a good leather cleaner, it`s got the detergents to clean and won`t mess up the leather, that is if you didn`t like my first plan.

buellwinkle
08-11-2005, 08:47 PM
It`s best to remove the stiching, have it dry cleaned and sew it back on. Personally, I would use a good leather cleaner, it`s got the detergents to clean and won`t mess up the leather, that is if you didn`t like my first plan.

CaliPhotog
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Beleive it or not, this is what I use for any stitching that I need to clean. Shoe MGK (http://www.shoecleaner.com/)

It works really really well! You will need a toothbrush, a small water bowl, a cloth, leather conditioner and the Shoe MGK. This is what I do... Take the toothbrush and dip it in the water. Then rub the bristles over the stiching to moisten it. Now take the Shoe MGK and put a few drops on the toothbrush. Aggitate the stitching with the toothbrush and wipe off all the dirty subs with the cloth. Thats it. Perfectly clean stitching. There is 1 thing to beware of. Use a VERY sofy toothbrush and apply minimal pressure. You dont want to fray the stitching. Let me know if you try this and tell me how it works out for you.

CaliPhotog
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Beleive it or not, this is what I use for any stitching that I need to clean. Shoe MGK (http://www.shoecleaner.com/)

It works really really well! You will need a toothbrush, a small water bowl, a cloth, leather conditioner and the Shoe MGK. This is what I do... Take the toothbrush and dip it in the water. Then rub the bristles over the stiching to moisten it. Now take the Shoe MGK and put a few drops on the toothbrush. Aggitate the stitching with the toothbrush and wipe off all the dirty subs with the cloth. Thats it. Perfectly clean stitching. There is 1 thing to beware of. Use a VERY sofy toothbrush and apply minimal pressure. You dont want to fray the stitching. Let me know if you try this and tell me how it works out for you.

djerickd
08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Someone sugested oxy-clean water and a soft toothbrush, I`m going to give that a shot since I have the oxy-clean. I will report back!

djerickd
08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Someone sugested oxy-clean water and a soft toothbrush, I`m going to give that a shot since I have the oxy-clean. I will report back!

jrotaryb
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Woolite/water and a small brush

jrotaryb
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Woolite/water and a small brush

imported_Griz
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM

Worked well on the tri-color stitching on the inside of my steering wheel, you don`t need a lot of detergent, and warm water helps.