PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys by hand = :O

imported_Picus
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Alright, so I admit it - I`ve become a PC jockey. I don`t really do much by hand anymore aside from sealant, and sometimes I even do that by PC. So today I got a re-supply of Poorboys 1, 2.5, and 3 in and since my condo neighbor has been asking me to do a little work on his car I thought I`d give it a shot. Kicker is he has no power in his part of the garage, so unless I wanted to move the car I was going at it by hand. I figured since he only had a few light scratches in some spots I`d wash, go at the spots with some SSR2.5 via foam pad in spots where it needed it, then just buff with mf, put some SSR 1 on the areas where I used SSR2.5, then wax it by hand and call it a day.

Wash went fine, then I started putting SSR2.5 on. Applied a little to the pad (size of a dime), and started rubbing with light pressure until the product dusted, wipe, and... :confused: more scratches than before. Alright so I figure maybe I used a little too much pressure... try again with less, worse this time. Hrm. Try some SSR1 and it cleaned it up a bit but it`s still worse than before. I made it look presentable with some ScratchX (a product I`ve used via hand before), but it`s still worse, so I know I did something wrong.

So in any event tomorrow I`ll move his car and go to it with a PC. I`m not concerned because I know I can take the scratches out via PC. But my question is, what did I do wrong? I`ve never polished by hand so I assume it was user error, but I thought it was pretty straightforward. Perhaps SSR`s really aren`t for hand use too?

imported_Picus
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Alright, so I admit it - I`ve become a PC jockey. I don`t really do much by hand anymore aside from sealant, and sometimes I even do that by PC. So today I got a re-supply of Poorboys 1, 2.5, and 3 in and since my condo neighbor has been asking me to do a little work on his car I thought I`d give it a shot. Kicker is he has no power in his part of the garage, so unless I wanted to move the car I was going at it by hand. I figured since he only had a few light scratches in some spots I`d wash, go at the spots with some SSR2.5 via foam pad in spots where it needed it, then just buff with mf, put some SSR 1 on the areas where I used SSR2.5, then wax it by hand and call it a day.

Wash went fine, then I started putting SSR2.5 on. Applied a little to the pad (size of a dime), and started rubbing with light pressure until the product dusted, wipe, and... :confused: more scratches than before. Alright so I figure maybe I used a little too much pressure... try again with less, worse this time. Hrm. Try some SSR1 and it cleaned it up a bit but it`s still worse than before. I made it look presentable with some ScratchX (a product I`ve used via hand before), but it`s still worse, so I know I did something wrong.

So in any event tomorrow I`ll move his car and go to it with a PC. I`m not concerned because I know I can take the scratches out via PC. But my question is, what did I do wrong? I`ve never polished by hand so I assume it was user error, but I thought it was pretty straightforward. Perhaps SSR`s really aren`t for hand use too?

imported_Picus
08-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I`m a knob. I just searched again (I swear I searched before I posted) and found out what the deal is. Seems 2.5 by hand just doesn`t break down fast enough. I guess that`s why it felt kind of gritty when I was applying it. Oh well, back to the trusty PC!

imported_Picus
08-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I`m a knob. I just searched again (I swear I searched before I posted) and found out what the deal is. Seems 2.5 by hand just doesn`t break down fast enough. I guess that`s why it felt kind of gritty when I was applying it. Oh well, back to the trusty PC!

southbaytaco
08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I had problems applying poorboy`s pro polish by hand. I spot tested it on my truck and got some bad holograming. SSR1 fixed some of it. I`ve yet to try it with my PC because I`m waiting on a polishing pad.

southbaytaco
08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I had problems applying poorboy`s pro polish by hand. I spot tested it on my truck and got some bad holograming. SSR1 fixed some of it. I`ve yet to try it with my PC because I`m waiting on a polishing pad.

z400
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
You need to work it with a PC because the product has diminishing abrasives in it. Meaning, you need speed to work those away and THEN it polishes.

Basically, use it only by PC even though it says you can by hand.

z400
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
You need to work it with a PC because the product has diminishing abrasives in it. Meaning, you need speed to work those away and THEN it polishes.

Basically, use it only by PC even though it says you can by hand.

toyemp
08-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I have used SSR2 successfully by hand, but had the same results as above with 2.5

toyemp
08-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I have used SSR2 successfully by hand, but had the same results as above with 2.5

imported_animes2k
08-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I`ve had luck with 2.5 by hand... but using a SFX1 4" spot pad and really working it as fast as I could in a small spot for a very long time. Also IP by hand... both products SOUND like they`re scrubbing when you first apply them...

you do really have to work them and feel for the smoothness through the pad.

It might also help to use a spot buffing pad instead of the rather gentle standard foam applicator pad, as I can see how this may aid in the heat generation/abrasive break-down.

imported_animes2k
08-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I`ve had luck with 2.5 by hand... but using a SFX1 4" spot pad and really working it as fast as I could in a small spot for a very long time. Also IP by hand... both products SOUND like they`re scrubbing when you first apply them...

you do really have to work them and feel for the smoothness through the pad.

It might also help to use a spot buffing pad instead of the rather gentle standard foam applicator pad, as I can see how this may aid in the heat generation/abrasive break-down.

trueblueblood
08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
This was Scottwax`s technique to hand polishing and he is a pro detailer and worked by hand and his cars always looked great in pics. I have had success in hand polishing but its alot of work but can be done, but a PC makes it much easier and better. Take a cotton towel alittle larger than a washcloth to small hand towel and fold it into squares to form a nice thick pad similar to an applicator pad, the thickness and cotton will build heat better and help break down the polish, make sure to go in side to side back and forth, then a final buff and inspect.

trueblueblood
08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
This was Scottwax`s technique to hand polishing and he is a pro detailer and worked by hand and his cars always looked great in pics. I have had success in hand polishing but its alot of work but can be done, but a PC makes it much easier and better. Take a cotton towel alittle larger than a washcloth to small hand towel and fold it into squares to form a nice thick pad similar to an applicator pad, the thickness and cotton will build heat better and help break down the polish, make sure to go in side to side back and forth, then a final buff and inspect.