PDA

View Full Version : Sealant Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

Craigster
08-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I love the look of my dark blue metallic Malibu Maxx with the Z2Pro/Z8.

I think it`s the most complimentary Ive seen on the color, and I love the

way a rain literally leaves the car looking clean to the untrained eye.

OK....It`s ugly but it gets the job done. Just trying to make it look as good

as it can be considering it`s DNA

(hey...sounds like Im talking about me too....)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Craigster/sidea.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Craigster/roof.jpg

The thing that annoys me most though is like what happened Sunday.

I got hit with a bird bomb that etched into the clearcoat in less than 20 min.

Ive never had this when I used NXT, UPP or EX, but poop acid does vary. :eek:

I took out the new Makita (yea!) and went to work with Z-PC, which did

an awesome job of leveling the etch. You cant feel it, and really have to

look to see it. But rain was a possibility and I wanted to seal the hood back up.

So I had to mix Z2 and Zfx, which for just the hood, meant either mixing too little

or wasting too much, let it sit for 15 to activate, etc. :furious:

It would have been so much easier to just grab a bottle of something

off the shelf throw a coat and come back to it a day or so later.

Thats kind of where I am at, wondering if EX-P+, UPP, SG, FMJ etc

might be the way to go for the summer at least. I love the look and durability

of Z2Pro, but dont know if it is the best to use on my Maxx.

What would you use if you owned this ugly, but functional beast? :think:

Craigster
08-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I love the look of my dark blue metallic Malibu Maxx with the Z2Pro/Z8.

I think it`s the most complimentary Ive seen on the color, and I love the

way a rain literally leaves the car looking clean to the untrained eye.

OK....It`s ugly but it gets the job done. Just trying to make it look as good

as it can be considering it`s DNA

(hey...sounds like Im talking about me too....)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Craigster/sidea.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Craigster/roof.jpg

The thing that annoys me most though is like what happened Sunday.

I got hit with a bird bomb that etched into the clearcoat in less than 20 min.

Ive never had this when I used NXT, UPP or EX, but poop acid does vary. :eek:

I took out the new Makita (yea!) and went to work with Z-PC, which did

an awesome job of leveling the etch. You cant feel it, and really have to

look to see it. But rain was a possibility and I wanted to seal the hood back up.

So I had to mix Z2 and Zfx, which for just the hood, meant either mixing too little

or wasting too much, let it sit for 15 to activate, etc. :furious:

It would have been so much easier to just grab a bottle of something

off the shelf throw a coat and come back to it a day or so later.

Thats kind of where I am at, wondering if EX-P+, UPP, SG, FMJ etc

might be the way to go for the summer at least. I love the look and durability

of Z2Pro, but dont know if it is the best to use on my Maxx.

What would you use if you owned this ugly, but functional beast? :think:

Accumulator
08-09-2005, 08:13 AM
I use KSG on our minivan for basically the same reasons you`re thinking about. When something happens, I can do a spot repair without any big production, and unless/until something happens the durability lets me just wash it and get on with my life. It seems to protect pretty well agains stuff like bird bombs, but that could be due to the layers I`ve built up.

I use UPP on the S8 for about the same reasons, but in that case slickness and looks mean more to me than durability. Since you`re probably spoiled by how nice the Zaino looks, maybe this would be another one to consider. I had a bug splat etch the paint a little and it was no biggie at all to polish it out and apply more UPP. Only took a few minutes.

Accumulator
08-09-2005, 08:13 AM
I use KSG on our minivan for basically the same reasons you`re thinking about. When something happens, I can do a spot repair without any big production, and unless/until something happens the durability lets me just wash it and get on with my life. It seems to protect pretty well agains stuff like bird bombs, but that could be due to the layers I`ve built up.

I use UPP on the S8 for about the same reasons, but in that case slickness and looks mean more to me than durability. Since you`re probably spoiled by how nice the Zaino looks, maybe this would be another one to consider. I had a bug splat etch the paint a little and it was no biggie at all to polish it out and apply more UPP. Only took a few minutes.

Scottwax
08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
I`d consider EX-P or Acrylic Jett if you like the Z2 look. Both are similarly clear and wet looking products. Will they hold up to bird bombs better? Can`t say for sure since any damage is more dependent on what the bird ate and how quickly the dookie is removed-but EX-P and AJ are much easier to slap back on after polishing.

Scottwax
08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
I`d consider EX-P or Acrylic Jett if you like the Z2 look. Both are similarly clear and wet looking products. Will they hold up to bird bombs better? Can`t say for sure since any damage is more dependent on what the bird ate and how quickly the dookie is removed-but EX-P and AJ are much easier to slap back on after polishing.

drewski59
08-09-2005, 08:43 AM
If you like the look and durability of Z2Pro, then just use that. Not much can match the unique look of it, and nothing matches the durability(when prepped properly).

Also, you could`ve just put Z2Pro over the ZPC. You didn`t really need the Zfx this time. Save the Zfx for when you`re doing the whole car as it`s more economical that way.

:wavey

drewski59
08-09-2005, 08:43 AM
If you like the look and durability of Z2Pro, then just use that. Not much can match the unique look of it, and nothing matches the durability(when prepped properly).

Also, you could`ve just put Z2Pro over the ZPC. You didn`t really need the Zfx this time. Save the Zfx for when you`re doing the whole car as it`s more economical that way.

:wavey

Craigster
08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the opinions, please keep them coming. I`d especially like to hear any experiences with SG or FMJ. I`m almost out of Z2Pro and Zfx.

Drewski59,

I felt I really had to use the Zfx. For one, I had polished off any Z2Pro, was down to clean paint. With the rain coming (and no garage), I didnt have the luxury of time in letting the Z2 dry. I wanted to be sure of bonding in the short period I had.

Craigster
08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the opinions, please keep them coming. I`d especially like to hear any experiences with SG or FMJ. I`m almost out of Z2Pro and Zfx.

Drewski59,

I felt I really had to use the Zfx. For one, I had polished off any Z2Pro, was down to clean paint. With the rain coming (and no garage), I didnt have the luxury of time in letting the Z2 dry. I wanted to be sure of bonding in the short period I had.

tomstin
08-09-2005, 09:25 AM
After using Z for 18 months or so I moved on to WG and now my favorite is FMJ. Easy to use, seems to hold up real well

tomstin
08-09-2005, 09:25 AM
After using Z for 18 months or so I moved on to WG and now my favorite is FMJ. Easy to use, seems to hold up real well

drewski59
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM

I understand your need for "peace of mind". I`m just saying it wasn`t necessary. That`s all.

You make the waiting for Zfx activation sound really bad. However, if it had been sunny out, Z2Pro would`ve gone on and off in a short time comparable to many sealants. I see where your urgency came from, and Zfx probably isn`t the best product to use in that time crunch, but don`t let that discourage you from keeping Zaino.

Really, you could`ve just used some Z8 on that spot, and waited until it was dry to apply Z2...just a thought ;)

drewski59
08-09-2005, 09:32 AM

I understand your need for "peace of mind". I`m just saying it wasn`t necessary. That`s all.

You make the waiting for Zfx activation sound really bad. However, if it had been sunny out, Z2Pro would`ve gone on and off in a short time comparable to many sealants. I see where your urgency came from, and Zfx probably isn`t the best product to use in that time crunch, but don`t let that discourage you from keeping Zaino.

Really, you could`ve just used some Z8 on that spot, and waited until it was dry to apply Z2...just a thought ;)

sbkang
08-09-2005, 10:44 AM
You could also apply Z1 and then Z2Pro immediately over it. Everybody forgets poor lonesome Z1.