PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bomb Defense - Wax or Sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

Craigster
08-08-2005, 05:41 AM
I got another bird bomb on the hood of my daily driver, a Malibu Maxx..That makes 3 since it was repainted....Of course they have all etched the paint.

I polished them down so you really have to look hard to see them, but like every other board member, my eyes go directly to them anytime I am near the car.

I was wondering if the Zaino is partly to blame, or its the repainted hood (probably both). I`ve never had bird bombs etch this bad in the past on any of my other cars....in all fairness, its also the first dark car (and repainted hood) Ive had. I didnt know if maybe a different product with a heavy Carnuba would be more likely to offer a little longer window to get it cleaned off (the bomb yesterday couldnt have been on there more the 15- 20 min). I know nothing will help completely, but I thought maybe wax properties would be more beneficial than just a sealant.

Any thoughts?

Craigster
08-08-2005, 05:41 AM
I got another bird bomb on the hood of my daily driver, a Malibu Maxx..That makes 3 since it was repainted....Of course they have all etched the paint.

I polished them down so you really have to look hard to see them, but like every other board member, my eyes go directly to them anytime I am near the car.

I was wondering if the Zaino is partly to blame, or its the repainted hood (probably both). I`ve never had bird bombs etch this bad in the past on any of my other cars....in all fairness, its also the first dark car (and repainted hood) Ive had. I didnt know if maybe a different product with a heavy Carnuba would be more likely to offer a little longer window to get it cleaned off (the bomb yesterday couldnt have been on there more the 15- 20 min). I know nothing will help completely, but I thought maybe wax properties would be more beneficial than just a sealant.

Any thoughts?

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
For starters, the repainted hood isn`t going to be as durable as the factory-baked original. I think anything additional that you can slather on there thicker is going to help, but nothing may be enough on a dark repaint.

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
For starters, the repainted hood isn`t going to be as durable as the factory-baked original. I think anything additional that you can slather on there thicker is going to help, but nothing may be enough on a dark repaint.

wannafbody
08-08-2005, 06:08 AM
not neccessarily true-it depends on the quality of the clear coat. my 94 stang was repainted due to acid rain spots and the clearcoat they put on it was harder than the factory CC. GLARE might be a good option as it seems to be durable.

wannafbody
08-08-2005, 06:08 AM
not neccessarily true-it depends on the quality of the clear coat. my 94 stang was repainted due to acid rain spots and the clearcoat they put on it was harder than the factory CC. GLARE might be a good option as it seems to be durable.

LT1Squirrel
08-08-2005, 09:29 AM
why not try both?....some z2 covered up with 16 works is a good defense on my TA and still looks great months later after a simple washing :D

LT1Squirrel
08-08-2005, 09:29 AM
why not try both?....some z2 covered up with 16 works is a good defense on my TA and still looks great months later after a simple washing :D

a.k.a. Patrick
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
If your looking for resistance to the environement, I`d have to go with a sealant.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
If your looking for resistance to the environement, I`d have to go with a sealant.

RobDon
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
For me UPP and WG sealant being so slick is far more resistant to most thing as they cannot adhere to the surface, quick blast with a QD and wipe, gone! Bird poo seems to go straight through carnuba wax.

RobDon
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
For me UPP and WG sealant being so slick is far more resistant to most thing as they cannot adhere to the surface, quick blast with a QD and wipe, gone! Bird poo seems to go straight through carnuba wax.

Scottwax
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
The main thing is to remove bird bombs the instant you see them. Not always practical, but as soon as you can. It often depends on what the bird ate, the more acidic, the more likey the damage.

Scottwax
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
The main thing is to remove bird bombs the instant you see them. Not always practical, but as soon as you can. It often depends on what the bird ate, the more acidic, the more likey the damage.

steck
08-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I have recently switched over to an `un-named` sealant and have been disappointed with the marks left behind from the bird bombs. For the last several years, I have been strictly using Carnauba`s and cant recall this ever being a problem.

I guess what I`m saying is the sealant isnt providing the protection that I think my Carnauba`s were...which goes against the theory doesnt it???????????????