PDA

View Full Version : Car was Hit! Please help with insurance questions!

Pages : [1] 2

rd_volvo
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
My coupe was backed into last week and I am trying have the insurance company of the person who hit me pay for the damages. My delema is that I want a whole new full quarter panel but they may want to pay for only a bondo repair job. Can anyone lend me any tips to put pressure on them to do the right thing and fully replace the rear quarter panel?

Unfortunately the quarter panel for my car emcompasses the upper pillar, the lower rocker panel and all the body side right of the door. So cutting the old quarter panel out and replacing is a little complicated.

My avatar shows area affected. Hard to see but ok for the idea.

thx

rd

rd_volvo
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
My coupe was backed into last week and I am trying have the insurance company of the person who hit me pay for the damages. My delema is that I want a whole new full quarter panel but they may want to pay for only a bondo repair job. Can anyone lend me any tips to put pressure on them to do the right thing and fully replace the rear quarter panel?

Unfortunately the quarter panel for my car emcompasses the upper pillar, the lower rocker panel and all the body side right of the door. So cutting the old quarter panel out and replacing is a little complicated.

My avatar shows area affected. Hard to see but ok for the idea.

thx

rd

Accumulator
08-07-2005, 12:35 PM
This won`t be the answer you`re looking for, but the only way I ever get to specify how the repairs are done is to run it through *my* insurance company (Chubb). The companies covering the people who hit me always insist on used panels, bondo, etc. and my agent said there`s no way to force them to do it my way (at least on something that isn`t basically showroom new) even though the vehicle in question is always in "showcar condition". So I get my company to cover the damages and then they go after the other guy`s insurance company to get their money back (including my deductible).

Accumulator
08-07-2005, 12:35 PM
This won`t be the answer you`re looking for, but the only way I ever get to specify how the repairs are done is to run it through *my* insurance company (Chubb). The companies covering the people who hit me always insist on used panels, bondo, etc. and my agent said there`s no way to force them to do it my way (at least on something that isn`t basically showroom new) even though the vehicle in question is always in "showcar condition". So I get my company to cover the damages and then they go after the other guy`s insurance company to get their money back (including my deductible).

JeffM
08-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow, ya, thats a good idea.

Only other thing to do, would be to pay the extra to have it done right.

JeffM
08-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow, ya, thats a good idea.

Only other thing to do, would be to pay the extra to have it done right.

vdog0531
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
yeah, i like accumulator`s plan of action. even that doesnt` work out, definately get it paid to have it fixed correctly

Vernon

vdog0531
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
yeah, i like accumulator`s plan of action. even that doesnt` work out, definately get it paid to have it fixed correctly

Vernon

rd_volvo
08-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Yes, my insurance company is in tune from day one with every move i`m making and I will pull the rip cord if [1] the other company starts delaying and or [2] they low ball me on the replacement of the quarter panel. They only thing is that I have a very high deductible.

thx

rd_volvo
08-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Yes, my insurance company is in tune from day one with every move i`m making and I will pull the rip cord if [1] the other company starts delaying and or [2] they low ball me on the replacement of the quarter panel. They only thing is that I have a very high deductible.

thx

Accumulator
08-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes, my insurance company is in tune from day one .. They only thing is that I have a very high deductible.

When the lady rear-ended my MPV, I went through Chubb (instead of her company, Progressive) for the reasons I posted before. I got my deductible back; they went after her insurance company to get it. Check with your people, but you shouldn`t have to eat the deductible if they do things the way Chubb does it.

Only downside is that you have a claim on your record and that might affect your premiums some time. But IMO the big thing is to get it fixed right.

Accumulator
08-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Yes, my insurance company is in tune from day one .. They only thing is that I have a very high deductible.

When the lady rear-ended my MPV, I went through Chubb (instead of her company, Progressive) for the reasons I posted before. I got my deductible back; they went after her insurance company to get it. Check with your people, but you shouldn`t have to eat the deductible if they do things the way Chubb does it.

Only downside is that you have a claim on your record and that might affect your premiums some time. But IMO the big thing is to get it fixed right.

az57chevy
08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Find a shop that will do it your way and let them explain why it needs to be done this way. I know there are lots of horror stories but plastic done right will be ok. You`d be amazed how many show cars are plastic bombs.

az57chevy
08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Find a shop that will do it your way and let them explain why it needs to be done this way. I know there are lots of horror stories but plastic done right will be ok. You`d be amazed how many show cars are plastic bombs.

medic
08-09-2005, 03:05 PM

if it`s not your fault your premium shouldn`t go up especially if they get the $$ back from the oter company.

also, as others have stated, find a good body shop that insists on doing things right. if the insurance company pays them directly, the body shop should be able to force them to cover the oem parts. this is how I got an oem new bumper instead of a junkyard reject