PDA

View Full Version : Abused and battered black Mercedes, suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Picus
08-06-2005, 01:31 PM
So my dad is coming into town with his black Merc S430 sedan. The car is a 2003 and has seen better days. I`d post pictures but I don`t have any up close. To give you an idea of the surface there is moderate to heavy swirling from improper washing, a good amount light scratching near door handles, bumpers, etc... There is some mild oxidation on the hood and roof where the paint looks almost slightly two tone because it`s grey`ing a little, and one good sized scratch that I think I`ll have to fill (or I might just leave it). His front headlamps also need some serious work. They have really bad pitting last I saw them.

In any event I want to take a shot at it and hope to make it look good plus give it a durable finish that he won`t have to worry about much, since I know he won`t. I`m good enough with my PC that I`m not to worried about the technique so much as what products I should try. I don`t want to spend more than a day on the car since he`s only in town for the weekend and they (my parents) will be out for the day on Saturday by themselves. I have the following products currently at my disposal:

All Zaino`s (zfx, z2, z5, z6, z7, z9, z10, zpc), Menzerna IP, Optimum polish, PB`s SSR2.5 and 3, Meg`s 83 and 80, sonus sfx2, RMG, P21S, scratchx, plasticx, clay, the regular goodies...

I was thinking I would wash/clay/plasticx the lamps/PB SSR2.5 with cutting/RMG with polish/ZPC with polish/Z2 with zfx.

Thoughts? Anyone think I should switch the SSR2.5 with Menzerna or maybe eliminate the RMG and use Megs 80 or no glaze at all? Or I could go SSR2.5/Optimum/Zaino. I don`t really want to experiment since it isn`t my car and I won`t have more than 6-8 hours to do this.

Thanks!

imported_Picus
08-06-2005, 01:31 PM
So my dad is coming into town with his black Merc S430 sedan. The car is a 2003 and has seen better days. I`d post pictures but I don`t have any up close. To give you an idea of the surface there is moderate to heavy swirling from improper washing, a good amount light scratching near door handles, bumpers, etc... There is some mild oxidation on the hood and roof where the paint looks almost slightly two tone because it`s grey`ing a little, and one good sized scratch that I think I`ll have to fill (or I might just leave it). His front headlamps also need some serious work. They have really bad pitting last I saw them.

In any event I want to take a shot at it and hope to make it look good plus give it a durable finish that he won`t have to worry about much, since I know he won`t. I`m good enough with my PC that I`m not to worried about the technique so much as what products I should try. I don`t want to spend more than a day on the car since he`s only in town for the weekend and they (my parents) will be out for the day on Saturday by themselves. I have the following products currently at my disposal:

All Zaino`s (zfx, z2, z5, z6, z7, z9, z10, zpc), Menzerna IP, Optimum polish, PB`s SSR2.5 and 3, Meg`s 83 and 80, sonus sfx2, RMG, P21S, scratchx, plasticx, clay, the regular goodies...

I was thinking I would wash/clay/plasticx the lamps/PB SSR2.5 with cutting/RMG with polish/ZPC with polish/Z2 with zfx.

Thoughts? Anyone think I should switch the SSR2.5 with Menzerna or maybe eliminate the RMG and use Megs 80 or no glaze at all? Or I could go SSR2.5/Optimum/Zaino. I don`t really want to experiment since it isn`t my car and I won`t have more than 6-8 hours to do this.

Thanks!

zippymbr
08-06-2005, 01:52 PM
The new Menzerna semiclear polish like the P085RD were made for Mercedes clearcoat. The IP should do the trick though. Black is a challenge so take it slow and easy.

zippymbr
The new Menzerna semiclear polish like the P085RD were made for Mercedes clearcoat. The IP should do the trick though. Black is a challenge so take it slow and easy.

Bill D
This really sounds like a job for a rotary but in its absence, the PC can probably do at least a decent job of improving the appearance.

I only have experience with Menzerna IP, the #83, and the Sonus polishes. For a car like that, I would start out with IP on a cutting pad. Expect to make several passes and there might be some cursing involved ;) . From what people are reporting, the Optimum might be a help here as well.

When you reach the polishing stage, out of the polishes you list there, I would choose Optimum again. Use it via white LC polishing pad or its equivalent. Multiple passes might be needed here as well. I doubt even the "heftiest of glazes" can help the appearance of any severe scratches enough to make them unnoticeable. Make that call once you get to the point and you probably wouldn`t want to use Zaino or at least not in any isolated spots where you used glaze.

At this point, a wipe down with IPA:water( minus the glazed areas) can`t hurt and start the Zaino application.

I sure would expect this job to be a good 6-8 hours, as you indicate, if not more. I hope it goes well. Check back in.

Bill D
This really sounds like a job for a rotary but in its absence, the PC can probably do at least a decent job of improving the appearance.

I only have experience with Menzerna IP, the #83, and the Sonus polishes. For a car like that, I would start out with IP on a cutting pad. Expect to make several passes and there might be some cursing involved ;) . From what people are reporting, the Optimum might be a help here as well.

When you reach the polishing stage, out of the polishes you list there, I would choose Optimum again. Use it via white LC polishing pad or its equivalent. Multiple passes might be needed here as well. I doubt even the "heftiest of glazes" can help the appearance of any severe scratches enough to make them unnoticeable. Make that call once you get to the point and you probably wouldn`t want to use Zaino or at least not in any isolated spots where you used glaze.

At this point, a wipe down with IPA:water( minus the glazed areas) can`t hurt and start the Zaino application.

I sure would expect this job to be a good 6-8 hours, as you indicate, if not more. I hope it goes well. Check back in.

imported_Picus
08-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey thanks for the quick replies guys. I don`t really expect to eliminate the deeper scratches - but I would like to eliminate the swirling and light scratches. I was hesitant to start with Menzerna because I know it can leave a haze on black cars, but I have a feeling I`ll be stuck using that if I want to make any progress. I love SSR 2.5 but I just don`t know if it will have the guts to help his car.

I`m less concerned with leaving him with the deepest, westest finish than I am with getting rid of what imperfections I can and leaving him with a durable, long lasting finish, which is why I was considering finishing with Z5/Z2.

And yes, I am sure there will be liberal pirate like cursing! :D This is the first black car aside from my own that I`ve done. My dad is a pretty easy going guy, and even if I do screw up (which I don`t think I will, I`m pretty conservative and careful) I don`t think I could make the car look worse. :O

I should have mentioned this isn`t until next weekend. I wanted to post early in case I needed to go grab any more products. Always looking for an excuse!

imported_Picus
08-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey thanks for the quick replies guys. I don`t really expect to eliminate the deeper scratches - but I would like to eliminate the swirling and light scratches. I was hesitant to start with Menzerna because I know it can leave a haze on black cars, but I have a feeling I`ll be stuck using that if I want to make any progress. I love SSR 2.5 but I just don`t know if it will have the guts to help his car.

I`m less concerned with leaving him with the deepest, westest finish than I am with getting rid of what imperfections I can and leaving him with a durable, long lasting finish, which is why I was considering finishing with Z5/Z2.

And yes, I am sure there will be liberal pirate like cursing! :D This is the first black car aside from my own that I`ve done. My dad is a pretty easy going guy, and even if I do screw up (which I don`t think I will, I`m pretty conservative and careful) I don`t think I could make the car look worse. :O

I should have mentioned this isn`t until next weekend. I wanted to post early in case I needed to go grab any more products. Always looking for an excuse!

Bill D
08-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Best of luck and I wouldn`t be too concerned about Menzerna. It`s the polish I`ve used most often on my black car and I`ve never had haze from it but that`s what the IPA:water is for. Expect some dusting with IP though. Just be sure to thoroughly break down the Menzerna products. That takes more time with a Cyclo and PC than a rotary. But if you love SSR2.5, use that one first. Start off with your tried and true.

Bill D
08-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Best of luck and I wouldn`t be too concerned about Menzerna. It`s the polish I`ve used most often on my black car and I`ve never had haze from it but that`s what the IPA:water is for. Expect some dusting with IP though. Just be sure to thoroughly break down the Menzerna products. That takes more time with a Cyclo and PC than a rotary. But if you love SSR2.5, use that one first. Start off with your tried and true.

hardrockTLS
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Do not worry about 2.5 not having the guts to remove the scratches and swirls. Just yesterday I actually wetsanded (2000 grit) a couple of spots on my car to remove a scratch and to knock down some touch up paint. By hand alone, the 2.5 took out most of the marring from the wetsand, just left some hazing in the right light angles, then I hit it with SSR2 on a Yellow Propel pad and the PC and the marring was GONE, then SSR1 and a green Propel pad as a kiss. Then reapplied the UPP and it looks fantastic with NO evidence of my having attacked the finish with sandpaper. :2thumbs: (Sorry, no pics)

Secret to using a PC for polishing that I learned from Execldetail: Don`t spare the polish, use an appropriate pad for the aggressivness of the polish that you are using. Start out on like 4, go N-S, then kick it to 5 and go E-W, then kick it up to 6 and just work it in whatever fashion suits you. This is where the clear meets its destiny. :)

hardrockTLS
08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Do not worry about 2.5 not having the guts to remove the scratches and swirls. Just yesterday I actually wetsanded (2000 grit) a couple of spots on my car to remove a scratch and to knock down some touch up paint. By hand alone, the 2.5 took out most of the marring from the wetsand, just left some hazing in the right light angles, then I hit it with SSR2 on a Yellow Propel pad and the PC and the marring was GONE, then SSR1 and a green Propel pad as a kiss. Then reapplied the UPP and it looks fantastic with NO evidence of my having attacked the finish with sandpaper. :2thumbs: (Sorry, no pics)

Secret to using a PC for polishing that I learned from Execldetail: Don`t spare the polish, use an appropriate pad for the aggressivness of the polish that you are using. Start out on like 4, go N-S, then kick it to 5 and go E-W, then kick it up to 6 and just work it in whatever fashion suits you. This is where the clear meets its destiny. :)

DM101
08-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Menzerna P085RD. Never had a haze on mu red. Comes out clean ready for lsp. You may want to add a glaze step in there if you plan on wax. Red Moose Glaze under Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax will make that black glow and you will be ready to jump in. (learn this from this forum). Meguire`s Glaze No 7 is also good before a wax. If you want a sealant for longer lasting protection you can go with the Klasse twins AIO and SG. Let us know how it turns out whatever you choose!!!!

DM101
08-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Menzerna P085RD. Never had a haze on mu red. Comes out clean ready for lsp. You may want to add a glaze step in there if you plan on wax. Red Moose Glaze under Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax will make that black glow and you will be ready to jump in. (learn this from this forum). Meguire`s Glaze No 7 is also good before a wax. If you want a sealant for longer lasting protection you can go with the Klasse twins AIO and SG. Let us know how it turns out whatever you choose!!!!

DM101
08-08-2005, 05:34 AM
http://www.properautocare.com/crsishin3st.html