PDA

View Full Version : What rotary do you recommend?

Pages : [1] 2

TDIGuy04
08-06-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a HF rotary, bulky thing, does the job but it`s heavy and not exactly high quality. I`d like to invest in a the best rotary for the money. Something light, powerful, and easy to manuever. I have a PC 7424 and while I can work wonders with it and the right pad/polish combo, I`d like to make it easier on myself and cut prep time down. I don`t mind spending $300 on a rotary if it`s a quality build and will hold up to everyday use. I`ve searched and seen threads on the Makita, Metabo, Dewalt, Milwaukee...

what do you recommend?

Bill D
08-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I like the De Walt but it is considered heavy compared the others on the list with exception of the Milwaukee. I like its smooth feel while in motion and love the speed dial with the RPMs listed right on it.

steck
08-06-2005, 09:45 AM
other `rotary wannabees` are watching this thread....c`mon guys any suggestions????

thats the exact reason i`m looking toward a rotary....cut down on `prep`.

steck
08-06-2005, 09:45 AM
other `rotary wannabees` are watching this thread....c`mon guys any suggestions????

thats the exact reason i`m looking toward a rotary....cut down on `prep`.

gbackus
08-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Once my El Cheapo(chicago electric) goes down I`ll be picking up a dewalt 849. The CE is great for learning the rotary because its cheap.

gbackus
08-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Once my El Cheapo(chicago electric) goes down I`ll be picking up a dewalt 849. The CE is great for learning the rotary because its cheap.

TDIGuy04
08-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I read the Metabo is light like the PC. Is the metabo a good build? Any problems with them, akward to hold or anything.

If you have a rotary please list what make/model and how manueverable it is, easy to hold, approx weight, power consumption. I`d like something that will last for a while with minimal problems, with maybe a good warranty.

TDIGuy04
08-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I read the Metabo is light like the PC. Is the metabo a good build? Any problems with them, akward to hold or anything.

If you have a rotary please list what make/model and how manueverable it is, easy to hold, approx weight, power consumption. I`d like something that will last for a while with minimal problems, with maybe a good warranty.

toyemp
08-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I purchased a Makita 9227 this year and intially, I had a difficult time controlling it. It came with a loop handle and no matter what hand position I tried, I just couldn`t stabilize it under most conditions. I then spent $10 and ordered the straight handle for it and what a difference it made! I dont have any problems controlling it and buffer hopping is completely gone.

I know some like the loop handle, but whatever works for you I guess. I have never tried any of the other models list above, but I didn`t know about the Metabo when I bought the Makita and would love to shave a pound or two off the Makita if I had to do it again.

toyemp
08-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I purchased a Makita 9227 this year and intially, I had a difficult time controlling it. It came with a loop handle and no matter what hand position I tried, I just couldn`t stabilize it under most conditions. I then spent $10 and ordered the straight handle for it and what a difference it made! I dont have any problems controlling it and buffer hopping is completely gone.

I know some like the loop handle, but whatever works for you I guess. I have never tried any of the other models list above, but I didn`t know about the Metabo when I bought the Makita and would love to shave a pound or two off the Makita if I had to do it again.

EdLancer
08-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Since most everyone is looking for either the Dewalt 849 or Makita, their prices are pretty expensive. I`am currently looking to get an under the radar scope PC 7428 or a Hitachi.

EdLancer
08-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Since most everyone is looking for either the Dewalt 849 or Makita, their prices are pretty expensive. I`am currently looking to get an under the radar scope PC 7428 or a Hitachi.

chml17l
08-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Is this the Hitachi rotary you are lookin at? http://www.hitachipowertools.com/product/files/metalworking/disk_sanders_polishers/SP18VA_OM.pdf

chml17l
08-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Is this the Hitachi rotary you are lookin at? http://www.hitachipowertools.com/product/files/metalworking/disk_sanders_polishers/SP18VA_OM.pdf

J.J.
08-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I use the Makita now. I had the CE rotrary and thought it was way to noisy for my taste. If i had $300, I would have, w/o a doubt, bought the Metabo! However, with all that said, I really like the Makita.

JJ